No praise for the Badlander?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I feel the Badlander is one amp worth owning. It does have the DNA of the MWDR but different. Sure, there is no 5U4G rectifier tube to be found on the BAD. That feature I have recently discovered with the MWDR is key to harmonic bliss as is the spongy power mode. At least this harmonic characteristic can be found with the Badlander if you opt to run it in Variac power mode. I can get similar results with it in the Bold or full power mode too. It does not have the sub-harmonic low end as that was removed due to the change in the cold clipper circuitry. Instead of the 39k (SLO) cathode resistor, it has a 15k ohm resistor instead. This change in the cold clipper circuitry brings the amp much closer to the Marshall 2204 which is what the Soldano SLO was based on which sparked the Rectifier revolution and became an icon in its own right.

I am hooked on the Badlander such that I now have two of them. Still have my Roadster and Multi-Watt Dual recs. Actually I am now making use of the MWDR with the two BADS. I did also run the Roadster with this arrangement. Either will do just fine. However, I much prefer the MWDR with the V30 loaded 412 cabinet. When I got the first Badlander, first thing I had to do was compare it to the MWDR and the Roadster. Yep, even loaded the BAD with the STR440 6L6 tubes. TBH, the BAD is much better with the EL34 power tubes. It is more comparable to the MWDR running 6L6.

20201210_125309.jpg

When the second BAD arrived, had to run this in a stereo setup. **** the pair of BADS is just overwhelming. I thought the two Royal Atlantic RA-100s were the deal in stereo but the 2-BADS are even better.

20230306_204513.jpg

Since I only have two Mesa 412 cabs with the V30 speakers and lack of room as I have a full bass rig on the same wall and a huge drum set taking up the rest of the room, I had to compromise with the new BAD rig setup. I could get three 412 cabs in a row but that leaves little room for the door to open. The Vertical 212 cab is a good choice to run with the BADS and use what other amp as a center channel of sorts. I found the Royal Atlantic, Triple Crown and a Marshall Silver Jubilee worked fine but just did not provide what I was after when running all three amps at the same time. I really do not need to run another amp with the Badlanders as they hold their own. However, through trial and error the key to intense satisfaction was with the MWDR.

20230417_072017.jpg

The Roadster did very well too. Darker than the MWDR but just as good. What works with the BADS as I am using the Mesa Switch track (has a mute feature) is either of the Dual Rectifier amps as they also have a mute feature. This lets me select BAD or Rectifier or all three. I found the clean channel set to drive on the MWDR to be compatible with the Crunch on the BAD. CH2 or CH3 blends well with the crush voice. Crush pulls in an extra gain stage so to keep things normal, the phasing is set for CH2 or CH3 of the MWDR in in sync. When I switch to crunch, just change to CH1 on the MWDR. A switch rig would be much easier to make this work. Midi even better as I believe I can set the phase of the switch track using midi (need to look into that). For now I can manage with the footswitches.

Now for the Magic, MWDR running in spongy power mode, using all tube rectification just brings out incredible harmonics. I am also using 50W with the MWDR on all three channels. The BADS on the other hand are running 100W, variac power mode. Since the Vert 212 will not push as much air as the 412 cab, keeping the MWDR at 50W is for balance. Dynamics are awesome. I can clean things up with by dialing back on guitar volume control and then spice it up with dialing it up. To me this is Mesa heaven. One of these days I may try to get a recording of this rig. Probably will not be easy as I do not have many mics to use for cabinet recording.

I deliberately bought the BL25 combo for a smaller amp to use at indoor gigs. For 25 watts, that combo is loud enough for outdoor gigs as well, but now I have the itch for a 50 watt head. Since I've never really been much of a Recto fan in general (as blasphemous as that sounds), the BL totally changed my opinion and now it rivals my love for the Electra Dyne and JP2C. Three distinctly different flavors makes it difficult to choose which one(s) to take to gigs.

The Badlander is just a pure rock machine.

Perhaps it is better to view the Badlander as a different amp than the Recto line. It is a little different. So far it is the only Rectifier amp I can use the 7-string without having to dial back the gain or dropping the bass and midrange to prevent mud fest. Never figured out how to run a 7 string with the MWDR or Roadster. Also, the hidden gem with the BAD is to run the crush voice at a lower gain setting, say around 9am to 10am. Around that point it will match the gain character of the JP-2C. The BAD is one of my favorite amps thus far. Not sure how I would like it better. I have the gain dialed up at the moment as I am in that sort of mood. Not sure which is louder, MWDR or the Badlander. Both can force me out of the room easily if I am not wearing ear plugs.

I bought a Badlander 25. I had been playing a Splawn for over a year. The Badlander is much more of a raw, mid-forward, sound. It's a lot different than my 3ch Recto was, too. I always thought of Recto as smooth and refined, but the BL is the little brother that pulls knives on people and spits on the sidewalk.

Hey Bandit! Been a minute.

I heard the the Badlander is not a recto. Not sure how it got into this section of the forum ;)
I was also pondering this but discovered otherwise. The circuitry is there. It just sounds different due to the change in the cold clipper circuit design. I guess one would claim the differences justify it being in its own category. It was MESA who linked it to the Rectifier lineup.

20201210_125316.jpg

Sine it is different characteristic wise, no reason why Mesa could not have launched a new product line.

That is a good way to put it. The BAD grind is impressive. Depends on what voice you are running. I will have to put some gravel in the dryer and compare as the laundry is in the same room as the gear. Think of it sounding like a grossly modified Marshall JCM800 (2204), only better. Very hard to put into words. You would have to experience it in person and decide for yourself.

I did go a bit off topic, but since there are some similarities of other amps mentioned below, I thought it was ok to leave in.

Say a Drop-D tuning. The BAD is bad (not bad but BAD-a$$) and the Roadster and MWDR tend to get a bit muddy if I try to palm mute. I do have a lot of love for the MWDR and Roadster. I just find the BAD is a better fit for me. However, I am using the MWDR at a reduced volume setting as it does not take much to enhance the sound at the center point between the two Badlanders. I much prefer the 412 cab with the Badlander but it sounds great with the Vertical 212 (reduces output for the room size). I run the BADs at 100W and the MWDR in spongy+ tube rectification with all channels at 50W.

20230506_074103.jpg

I did have the Roadster in place of the MWDR for a while. That worked out great too. I may bring it out again. If I can get my hands on another Mesa Switch track I may bring the Roadster out, stack the 412 on top of a horizontal 212 and run that with the MWDR. Perhaps another Horizontal 212 so I can stack them and run the two dual recs without having too much of a tower. The horizontal 212 cabs are darker in tone than the verts. That would add some dimension. I still prefer the 412 cabs but do not have the room to set that up.

Amp stacking note: The traditional rectifier heads can be stacked on each other. Obviously, place the larger one at the bottom. This is the feature of the lay-flat strap handle. the BAD is similar to the TC and other amps as it has a thick handle. It you must stack, you need blocks under the feet of the unit on top or it will not sit properly.

The Roadster has that characteristic of the gravel in the dryer deal. Good for chugging and hammered chords but I found it not so ideal for lead or palm muting effect (depends on guitar tuning). It also has bad manners with 7-string guitars as it S**ts all over the place (muddy). Have not been able to tolerate the low-B string with the Roadster unless you drop the gain. Sub harmonic content tends to get in the way to make things challenging. Change in preamp tubes did make a huge difference, JAN/GE 5751 in V1. Sure, tired boosting with distortion pedal, it only gets worse. Awesome amp for normal tunings but on the muddy side when palm muting comes in, especially with Drop D. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Roadster is still an awesome Dual Rectifier though.

Multi-Watt DR is not much different. Much brighter than the Roadster in all respects. Darker than the JP-2C in tone. Still has the same manner as the Roadster with the 7-string guitar. Kill the gain to get something that sounds good. No more gravel in the clothes dryer if you need to drop the gain. Any suggestions? I tried changing preamp tubes, did not make any difference.

There is a point I am making by referencing the 7-string guitar. Since it may as well be part Bass it does have its place in the heavy arena. What amps work extremely well with the extended range guitar? JP-2C is one of honorable mention. The other three amps that are even better with the 7-String in the Mesa offerings (that I have): Triple Crown, Royal Atlantic RA-100, and the Badlander tops it off. I used to believe the RA-100 was king. It was for a while, now the Badlander took its place. No need for any GEQ in the FX loop either. The BAD is tuned well, it has a good refined sound, not fizzy and you do not need to run it at intolerable volume levels to push the power tubes into saturation. Sure the Dual Recs have great potential at stage volume. The Badlander is no slouch in that department. If you need that volume level, Roadster, MWDR and Badlander will deliver (will require ear plugs). The RA is not far behind. JP-2C not quite as loud, and the TC-100 can't deliver the stage volume as it seems to have some limits.

I have a Badlander 50 head. Like it a lot but it’s not classic Recto. It’s got some modded Marshall DNA. Definitely suited by the EL34s.

But it’s sort of in an identity crisis. Between a Recto and a “British” amp.

Sounds silly to say but it’s almost “too” tight.

I see what you mean.

Has anybody compared the Badlander 100 to the Badlander 50? Sort of make me wonder if there are any differences like there is with the TC-100 and TC-50 excluding the multi-soak feature. TC-100 is not as dry, tight as the TC-50. Also has more bottom end to it.

Next time I visit a music store that sells Mesa, I would like to compare the BAD50 to the BAD100 out of curiosity.

I see what you mean.

Has anybody compared the Badlander 100 to the Badlander 50? Sort of make me wonder if there are any differences like there is with the TC-100 and TC-50 excluding the multi-soak feature. TC-100 is not as dry, tight as the TC-50. Also has more bottom end to it.

Next time I visit a music store that sells Mesa, I would like to compare the BAD50 to the BAD100 out of curiosity.
It's pretty normal for a 100W amp to have more bottom when compared to a 50W of the same kind.

I knew that but how much different would the BAD-50 compare to the BAD-100 in terms of tightness.
Considering the TC-100 has a bit of looser feel than the TC-50 as it is much tighter. I would say in terms of sound quality it is dry toned compared to the TC-100. So the difference in perceived tightness in tone would be the more saturated low end of the 100W compared to the more balanced 50W. Difference in power and output transformers, more so the output transformers as they are not typically the same (is the case with the TC100 vs TC50). I like both so it matters not. I do not feel the BAD is tight but to others it may be. Obviously not as loose as the MWDR or Roadster. Not as tight as the JP2C either. Matters not.

I have cycled all of my amps on the 412 in the center of the two BADS. the MWDR or Roadster added in some character but was not making full use of the amps potential. The low end was too dominant when bringing up the master volume. I have not run the Royal Atlantic much but now am hooked on it, again. At least with that amp the hi gain is in phase with the crush voice, the lo gain is in phase with crunch and it just sounds great. Blends well at gig volume levels or even reduced volume levels.

Too bad I have no room for the other RA. If I was able to manage that I would need a second Mesa Switch track which I am patiently waiting for production to restart on that item. Was considering setting up the RAs in another room. I am surprised how similar the RA is to the BAD but yet slightly different. I tried the TC-50, it did not seem to work as well. The TC-100 would not be much different, just more low-end saturation but still would have less dynamic characteristics. I can get Mark-ish Recto like tone from the RA on the red channel (hi gain). Sure, the TC has some similar sounds to the RA but lacks the dynamic range for my playing style. The RA loaded with a few NOS preamp and power tubes has yet to be surpassed. The BAD is very close without the need for NOS expense. Stockers in the RA tend to be harsh (STR447 EL34) and the preamp tubes get a bit muddy on the red channel. NOS preamp tubes: RFT 12AX7 in V1 and Ei CV492 and JAN/Phillips 12AT7 in V3 with a Quad of Mesa STR442 NOS =C=EL34. Wonder what to do when those wear out? I have tried other tubes. Mullard reissue EL34 were not all that bad, a little better than the EH EL34 (Mesa STR447). I have some SED =C= 6L6GCs on hand, they sound similar in the RA as the EL34. May end up trying the red Base Mesa STR448 if they do not work out in the JP2C. Will have to try those in the Badlander too. I think I need more reverb. Cowbell does not work as a guitar effect but I do have one on the drum set.

20230527_021216.jpg

I see what you mean.

I just had the 50 and returned it to get the 100. I would say, if you can notice the difference at all, I'd agree with the Nick, from Axe Palace, who advised me on the 50w being clearer, with less "tubbyness". The 100 has an EXTREMELY subtle low-mid bump compared to the 50. The 100 on 50w mode sounds nearly indistinguishable to me between the two, but in 100w mode, it has a very, very, and I mean very, slightly less tight sound to it. You probably wouldn't ever notice it unless you had them side by side.

As far as the love for the Badlander series of Rectos, mine is currently for sale, after only a day of trying it out. I liked the 50w but found it was lacking in bass and gain. Nick told me the 100 had a slightly fuller sound in 100w mode, he was right but nowhere near enough as I was hoping for. And, quite frankly, the "fullness" isn't even in a pleasant place compared to the 50w. If I had to do it all over again, I would have stopped with the 50w, but even then, side by side with my JP2C, Mark VII, Mark III, and Artist Edition ENGL, you'd swear there would have to be something broken inside the Badlander to have such little bass. The gain, well, it's kind of "close enough", at times, for rhythms, but I am a lead player mainly and for me, the gain just isn't saturated enough to pull off a Petrucci or Satriani-style lead tone. With the Mark series,I'm usually turning DOWN the gain, with the Badlander, I keep reaching to turn it up only to find it's already maxxed out.

Great amp for some, but not really for me. It's a shame, as I feel the tone of it is quite pleasing, it's just lacking in low-end and again in gain and just makes playing unpleasant for me, almost like a chore, as I try to modify my dynamics to get more gain out of the attack of each note, which never really satisfies me. Plus, the lack of gain means less sustain overall. And since I don't like to boost unless I HAVE to, naturally, mine is up for sale, honestly about 5 minutes of actual use on it before it went back in the box :D You could argue maybe mine is broken, but I've now played 3 of them, and my opinion the same across all 3.

In short though, if you pressed me for an answer, I'd tell you the 50w model sounds better than the 100w, but the 100w in 50w mode is so close it's probably not worth debating.

Last edited:
I appreciate the answer on the 100W vs 50W. Interesting that there is not much of a difference. I compared the two amps on Mesa's website, it appears that the PT is the same size but the OT is different. The case with the TC100 vs TC50, both PT and OT transformers are much smaller with the 50W vs the 100W.

Do you know what bias color the STR447 are? If not, do not worry about it. Most of those run in the green, gray, and blue range. I have never come across red or yellow. Greens are on the mild side to start with. You get more hair with the gray or blues. Sometimes the tube bias color can be paramount in liking or disliking the amp. The TC series was the exception, did not make much of a huge difference. I can hear the difference with the other amps though, JP2C, Mark VII, Mark V90, Roadster, MWDR. They all seem to sound different when making a bias color change. It also matters what tubes they are too. JP2C STR415 is unbeatable. the STR448 in gray bias color is comparable. Roadster, the STR440 are ideal (reds or yellows). MWDR (STR440 grays). Mark VII (STR445 yellow were much better than the greens). I am actually running a blend of the STR448 (yellow) and STR445 (yellow) in that amp to improve on low end and note definition. As for the BADS, I have a mix of blues and greens in both. One amp came with blues, the other with greens, since I run them in stereo, why not just mix the tubes so both amps sound the same? Enough said on the tube topic.

Good luck with selling the amp. Sorry it did not work out for you.

After I got the Mark V90, I gave up on having any expectations on what I think the next amp will sound like. The V90 was a disappointment compared to the Mark IV and Mark III. Over time, less than 2 years it finally crapped out and smoked the screen resistors. I was very skeptical on getting the Mark VII. My sales rep said it sounds a lot like the Mark V90. If that was true, it was going to get shipped back. At least it was not a disappointment, not quite as epic sounding as the JP2C but close enough. Besides that, the Mark VII phases well with the Badlander. IIB and crunch modes are in phase with the crunch on the BAD. All of the other modes are in phase with crush or clean. Since I run the 2-BADs in stereo, I can add in the Mark VII as a center channel or use that with the JP2C and run a full quad of amps. I have run this full setup. It is currently in a state of flux but will get reassembled now that I have a second Mesa switch track. Been slacking off and playing around with two Mesa open back 4x10 cabs and the JP2C for the moment. Running all for amps is amazing. I do not like getting swamped with too many effects. Just reverb on the Badlanders, and perhaps a delay on the JP2C and Mark VII. If there is anything on the front end of the signal before the amp, it is the Stryon Deco. Now that I can run that in stereo mode with the two switch tracks, it will get much better. Wonder what a sustain/compressor will do. Any sort of OD like grid slammer or flux drive, needs to be placed after the switch track due to the buffers. I tried one of those EarthQuadker units, it was ok.

20230729_173311.jpg

I will leave my error as is. The Badlander does not have a cold clipper circuit as I found out last night. I wanted to experiment with preamp tubes so I removed the chassis to make that easier (I do not like waiting for power tubes to cool down, only if those are the targets to change).

While I had it out, I wanted to look at the circuits again. This time measure the plate resistors as well as the cathode resistors. I made a grave error in the one resistor measurement. I misread the multi-meter display and position of the decimal point. Instead of 15.04k it was 1.504k. What? I checked it several times and even located the part in question, it is 1.5k. 1% resistor. There are two of them actually.

This is what I found with the preamp: After measuring resistance I found the part and listed its value.

V1A plate resistor is 100k
V1A cathode resistor is 3k

V1B plate resistor is 82.5k
V1B cathode resistor is 1.5k

V3A plate resistor is 270k
V3A cathode resistor is 3.3k

V3B plate resistor is 130k
V3B cathode resistor is 1.5k (this what I though was 15k)

The second I saw the 82.5k plate resistor, I realized this is more akin to a Mark lead drive circuit. Then the 270k was found on the next gain stage. The Measured values were a bit different than the color bands suggested. The 82.5k was measuring around 100k. I did not look to see if there were any plate bypass capacitors. Also when measuring in circuit, things may appear different than they are.

So this diagram I created based on the mistake is a bust. All wrong. V3B is not a cold clipper circuit.
The DC coupled Cathode follower is there though. That I rechecked again. The combination of V1B and V3A is the same circuit used in the Mark amp as the lead drive circuit.

BAD CRUSH.JPG

Again, this diagram is wrong. The crunch mode would be more akin to the circuit used in the Mark VII for crunch. That would explain the Mark VII manual links that amp to the Badlander. Crush is basically the Mark VII mode and crunch is the same as MK7 crunch.

badlander crunch.JPG

I will correct the diagrams with one's that are more accurate. If I had a schematic, that would be much easier than poking around an amp with an old multi-meter. Some points were more difficult to get an accurate resistance measurement due to some capacitors in the circuits. Seeking out the actual resistor was also a big help. Sorry about the bad information.

The corrected triode signal path has been completed. Here is the graphic as I found after last night.
Cold clipper goes away, I changed the color to green as it is a basic triode stage.

Badlander preamp.JPG

So now it compares to the Mark VII more than I expected it too. No big deal, cold clipper or not , I still like the badlander for what it is.

mark vii vs badlander.JPG

Now that I have some spare STR445 tubes, I need to dig up the Mesa 5BGEQ and see if I can get the two amps to sound the same. TBH, I do not like the Mark VII with the GEQ turned off. It is not bad, just sounds better with the GEQ. Perhaps I need to desensitize myself from that for a while.

Since I found the Bad is a Mark VII in Clean, Crunch or VII modes, the main difference is how the tone stack is addressed. Last night I swapped the EL34 for the tubes that came stock in the Mark VII, green bias color STR445. Those were a bit too saturated in the Mark VII, not in a good way though. Sure it sounded really good at bedroom levels running at 90W. But once you drive it to gig level it was losing more content or note definition that I was getting from the JP2C at the same SPL. Sure the Mark VII is a loud amp, however, oversaturation of the power tubes takes away more desired characteristics than I wanted. I am repeating myself here, but dropping in bias color from green to yellow STR445 made a world of difference.

So, what was the end result of running the STR445 greens in the Badlander? Not sure I am ready to describe the results prematurely. However, it was quite rewarding experience. I want to compare the change to the other Badlander with the stock tubes to formulate a conclusion. Running them both side by side will provide a better perspective on how I feel the change improved the amp or made it worse. I can say this, there was more low end than with the EL34 tubes. I had a preference for the STR447 EL34 tubes but that changed. I am liking the STR445 6L6GC tubes much more. Almost like it is a different amp. The grind, overall composure of the sound, and its singing voice in the crush mode was really good. I literally had to back off on the gain control and bass. I am thinking on making a video of sorts, Bad Vs Bad, and Bad Vs Mark VII. I have visions of grandeur as I know it will probably be a lame video as I freeze up with recording starts. If it works out, at least there will be a comparison of different power tubes and how it stacks up to what became the Mark VII.

Considering the use of the traditional Mark lead drive circuit in the Badlander, makes me wonder if this is due in part to the development of the Mark VII. There are too many similarities in the design to suggest it was just a fluke. Perhaps there is Mark VI DNA here. Why the use of the DC coupled tone stack driver though? Then the primary power tube choice being the EL34? That is not Rectifier tradition but the combination works really good. Before I got the Mark VII, I had no clue how the STR445 tubes would sound in other amps. Let alone, when the first Bad arrived, I only had the STR440, STR441 and STR443 to choose from. The STR448 tubes were next, dang, they do not work well with the Roadster, MWDR, or even the Mark V90. What was left was the JP2C, TC100, and Badlander. Sure, I could have tried them in the RA100 but opted not to do so. No memory of trying those in the TC100, let alone the STR445 tubes. That will have to come next. STR448 were great in the JP2C and the Badlander. I ordered another quad thinking I can move to those tubes in the Badlander. Should have specified a bias color as the second set of STR448 came in reds (lame) but yet I can still make use of them elsewhere (Mark VII).

Not trying to turn this into a tube discussion, however, it is important to note that power tubes do matter. The EL34 tubes are more subdued in their characteristics. Lends to a milder sounding amp more in line with what I felt the amp sounded like, modified Marshall JCM800. Just on sonic nature, I do not have a JCM800 to compare it too. The one fits all STR440 did not fit the Badlander. I am glad that they went out of production which forced Mesa to qualify other 6L6 power tubes. Now they have an alternate to the Russian EH EL34 (STR447) which is the TAD red base EL34 (STR446) which I though sounded really good. Still in the same sonic arena as the STR447, just a bit better.

Bottom line, the STR445 in green bias colors so far sounded really good in the Badlander. This amp works great when you get that power tube saturation effect which gets it much closer to its Mark VII cousin. Now I am curious what 6L6 tubes Ola Englund tried out. I did see a video that was supposed to be a comparison of the EL34 vs 6L6 STR445, I just did not buy what was being advertised in the video. No way can one swap tubes out and remain in the exact siting position with everything including the guitar cable not shifting between takes, All that was done was the image was blurred out a bit indicating it was EL34 and in more focus for 6L6GC. It could be possible the guitar player is that good and some are, just cutting audio in and out of the different tubes is possible. I can do that on the fly as I have two BADs. May even mess around with controls while I do it.

I feel the Badlander is one amp worth owning. It does have the DNA of the MWDR but different. Sure, there is no 5U4G rectifier tube to be found on the BAD. That feature I have recently discovered with the MWDR is key to harmonic bliss as is the spongy power mode. At least this harmonic characteristic can be found with the Badlander if you opt to run it in Variac power mode. I can get similar results with it in the Bold or full power mode too. It does not have the sub-harmonic low end as that was removed due to the change in the cold clipper circuitry. Instead of the 39k (SLO) cathode resistor, it has a 15k ohm resistor instead. This change in the cold clipper circuitry brings the amp much closer to the Marshall 2204 which is what the Soldano SLO was based on which sparked the Rectifier revolution and became an icon in its own right.

I am hooked on the Badlander such that I now have two of them. Still have my Roadster and Multi-Watt Dual recs. Actually I am now making use of the MWDR with the two BADS. I did also run the Roadster with this arrangement. Either will do just fine. However, I much prefer the MWDR with the V30 loaded 412 cabinet. When I got the first Badlander, first thing I had to do was compare it to the MWDR and the Roadster. Yep, even loaded the BAD with the STR440 6L6 tubes. TBH, the BAD is much better with the EL34 power tubes. It is more comparable to the MWDR running 6L6.

View attachment 1120

When the second BAD arrived, had to run this in a stereo setup. **** the pair of BADS is just overwhelming. I thought the two Royal Atlantic RA-100s were the deal in stereo but the 2-BADS are even better.

View attachment 1121

Since I only have two Mesa 412 cabs with the V30 speakers and lack of room as I have a full bass rig on the same wall and a huge drum set taking up the rest of the room, I had to compromise with the new BAD rig setup. I could get three 412 cabs in a row but that leaves little room for the door to open. The Vertical 212 cab is a good choice to run with the BADS and use what other amp as a center channel of sorts. I found the Royal Atlantic, Triple Crown and a Marshall Silver Jubilee worked fine but just did not provide what I was after when running all three amps at the same time. I really do not need to run another amp with the Badlanders as they hold their own. However, through trial and error the key to intense satisfaction was with the MWDR.

View attachment 1122

The Roadster did very well too. Darker than the MWDR but just as good. What works with the BADS as I am using the Mesa Switch track (has a mute feature) is either of the Dual Rectifier amps as they also have a mute feature. This lets me select BAD or Rectifier or all three. I found the clean channel set to drive on the MWDR to be compatible with the Crunch on the BAD. CH2 or CH3 blends well with the crush voice. Crush pulls in an extra gain stage so to keep things normal, the phasing is set for CH2 or CH3 of the MWDR in in sync. When I switch to crunch, just change to CH1 on the MWDR. A switch rig would be much easier to make this work. Midi even better as I believe I can set the phase of the switch track using midi (need to look into that). For now I can manage with the footswitches.

Now for the Magic, MWDR running in spongy power mode, using all tube rectification just brings out incredible harmonics. I am also using 50W with the MWDR on all three channels. The BADS on the other hand are running 100W, variac power mode. Since the Vert 212 will not push as much air as the 412 cab, keeping the MWDR at 50W is for balance. Dynamics are awesome. I can clean things up with by dialing back on guitar volume control and then spice it up with dialing it up. To me this is Mesa heaven. One of these days I may try to get a recording of this rig. Probably will not be easy as I do not have many mics to use for cabinet recording.

Latest posts

Back