New preamp tube line-up for my LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannedheat77

Reaction score
V1 Telefunken ECC83
V2 Phillips JAN 12AT7
V3 don't use- still has mesa tube.
V4 Mesa tube- this position seems to run very hot-don't want to use a tube I care about (the Mesa sounds fine)
V5 Telefunken ECC803S

This set-up has given me much better clean head room and the gain that can be achieved on channel 2 is still more than enough for me. I can now play channel 2 in 5 watt mode with a ES-335 at max volume and not have it turn into a howling micro-phonic mess :evil:. I love being able to get that heavy power tube compression without all of the preamp gain that was happening with the Mesa preamp tubes giving me a serious soring lead sound with the reverb cranked, nice bite and incredible sustain- it will be super cool 8) to use a sound like this in a small club at a sane volume. This is a killer amp- but very tube sensitive.

I am looking for suggestions for a power tube upgrade, I'm looking for a more compressed sound as opposed to "crunchy", and more head room if that is possible.

Has anyone tried Weber speakers in this amp, Blue Dogs or others?

cannedheat77 said:
I am looking for suggestions for a power tube upgrade, I'm looking for a more compressed sound as opposed to "crunchy", and more head room if that is possible.

compression and headroom are polar opposites. i don't know how you could increase one without decreasing the other.

looks like you've got some great tubes in the preamp! as far as power tubes go, i assume you'll be looking at NOS as well right? what do you have in for your rectifier tube?

Your right about the compression and and head room being polar opposites- I guess I would most like to avoid hard clipping and harsh high end, the end result would allow me to play louder with the tone I am looking for.

As for the rectifier tube, I am still using the one that replaced the stock tube that blew when I was trying the amp at the music store. I know this tube is an issue and I at least need to buy a back-up. Are there any tonal improvements that can be made wit a different tube?

OK, tone is subjective and depends on your guitar, cables, effects, the sounds you are hearing in your head, but . . .

I HIGHLY recommend the Weber Ceramic Blue Dog 50 W light dope in the LSS. This speaker brightens the amp and really opens up the sound so that humbucking neck pickups no longer sound muddy and dark. On top of this, overdriven and distorted settings sound better as well, with better note definition, without excessive brightness or shrillness. With this speaker replacing the stock Mesa CL90, you will be able to use the entire range of the treble and presence knobs, not just the upper ends. This speaker is brighter, but not excessively so -- very well balanced tone for this amp.

If you like speaker breakup, go with the AlNiCo version (more $).

My 2 cents.

With the stock speaker I got a nice tight sound with more headroom with 5751's in V1 and/or V2. Eventually wound up with a Celestion gold and stopped looking. With the gold I'm back to nos 12ax7's and nos Tesla power tubes. Ch 1 is loud and clean, Ch 2 goes from clean to hairy to crunchy. Both channels very defined as in hearing all the notes in a chord and 3d like. Also, 'buckers as well as single coils sound great.

Prior to getting the Gold, I had a 30w alnico blue dog and the same in a silver bell. Both were more to my liking than the c90 but the Gold has that sweet chime and still has a tight, no fart out bottom end. ( I use .011's with a .050 E string). Mike at KCA NOStubes usually has good prices and selection. NFI.

Do a search. There are a few threads regarding tubes and speakers for the LSS.

I just talked to Mike at kcans as well. I told him I was looking for ultra clean headroom (think Steve Kimock or Jerry Garcia) for channel 1, and he recommended the NOS RCA 6BQ5/EL84

any one try thesefor this type of tone?

+ to the Celestion Golds. Replaced the stock speaks in my 2x12 with these and the clarity is great! Look @ GE power tubes as well.

Back