Need some advice please!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the guys here know I'm a huge DC advocate.
I've had 2 Mark IV's and just don't like the tweakiness of the controls. I want my amp to sound the same every day unless I change it.
I've had 2 Lonestars and they sound nice, but have their own set of problems.
I am currently using a Heartbreaker, Maverick, DC-10 & a Tremoverb.

I will list the issues that I have and am looking for responses as to whether or not the V has these same issues.

1. I hate the Loop on my Tremoverb. The DC's Loop is very transparent and it really loves my G-Major 2.
I would simply change the Loop in the T-Verb to that of the DC, but the DC uses a solid state driver for the GEQ and the FX Send.
What FX are you guys using in the Loop, and are you happy with the tone?

2. I hated R2 on both of my Mark IV's. I felt like they were only good for Classic Rock/Rolling Stones type of tones. I love those tones, but I get them when the Volume is rolled back on my guitar already. I am really intrigued with the separate EQ knobs for R2 on the V.

3. I absolutely hated the Reverb drop out on both of my Lonestars when changing channels. I thought that an amp of that caliber should change channels flawlessly!
Does the Reverb drop out when changing channels on the V? I usually only use it on the clean channel, but I want it there when I want it there.

4. I also hated the "Rectifier Tracking" on my Lonestars and Roadster. If I cannot use the tube rectifier on the higher wattage settings, then what is the purpose of having one?

5. On my Roadster, I had the popping noise when changing channels.
Does the V have this issue?

So, I really loved all of those amps, but felt like each one had a fatal flaw or 2.
Does the V's Loop like the G-Major 2?
Does the separate EQ knobs for R2 help make it more versatile?
Does the V's Reverb cut in and out when changing channels?
Does the V change channels flawlessly?
What complaints, if any, do you have about it. Please be honest.

Thanks in advance!
Andy

The FIVE isn't for you if it's not your bag to tweak controls.

The effects loop is good, except there isn't an external switching jack to bypass it.

You can get HEAVY tones out of channel 2, but it excels with classic rock stuff IMO. It's way better than MkIV.

You can select rectifier tracking in 45 watt mode in channels 1 and 2, but in 90 watts it's diode, in 10 it's tube.

I havn't had any problems switching channels, but i'm using the supplied footswitch as there isn't an external FX loop switch (BIGGEST gripe about the FIVE)

"Does the V's Loop like the G-Major 2?"
Don't really know cuz i only use a nova delay and it sounds awesome

"Does the separate EQ knobs for R2 help make it more versatile?"
yep. Also u have 3 very usable distinct modes in channel 2.

"Does the V's Reverb cut in and out when changing channels?"
I don' t notice any cut. however u have independent reverb levels for each channel so it doesn't really matter

"Does the V change channels flawlessly?"
Mine does. no pop at all.

"What complaints, if any, do you have about it. Please be honest."
It's my first mesa so i find it really hard to tweak.

Right on guys! Thanks.
I don't mind having to tweak it a little to find my tones. But, what I hated about the IV is that the same amp, in the same exact position, in the same room with the same guitar and cables sounded different on any given day. That drove me nuts!

Scary said:
The FIVE isn't for you if it's not your bag to tweak controls.

The effects loop is good, except there isn't an external switching jack to bypass it.

You can get HEAVY tones out of channel 2, but it excels with classic rock stuff IMO. It's way better than MkIV.

You can select rectifier tracking in 45 watt mode in channels 1 and 2, but in 90 watts it's diode, in 10 it's tube.

I havn't had any problems switching channels, but i'm using the supplied footswitch as there isn't an external FX loop switch (BIGGEST gripe about the FIVE)

Huh?!?

The Mark V is easier to dial in than a Fender Champ if you understand what the knobs do.

57_fender_champ_3__56967.jpg

Sure it is...
When you know what youre doing everything is easy right?
how do you assume that the tone you're getting is the best one possible?
I can easily dial a great tone, but i'm sure that is someone out there that can get a much better tone.
It's very relative.
understanding what the knobs do by it self doesn't give you the ability to dial a great tone.
understanding hammer on / pull off doesn't make you capable of playing ultra speed legato "a la" Guthrie Govan right?

It is a complex yet intuitive knoob turning amp.
Since you're a familiar mesa owner i can't see you having to much trouble.

sprada said:
Sure it is...
how do you assume that the tone you're getting is the best one possible?
I can easily dial a great tone, but i'm sure that is someone out there that can get a much better tone.
...Chasing the dragon...
This is why I'll stick to my trusty Mark III.
Fewer knobs = longer playing time.
(Also longer practice time. Lord knows it's needed :lol: )
"Shared EQ"? Poor baby.
Outside in the cold distance, Jimi laughs.

I love the III! It's a really great amp. But....not for me. I want the ability to have each channel set up exactly like I want it before I even get to the GEQ.

So far, I have only read glowing reviews.
I still don't know if there are any noises when changing channels, reverb swells, popping, etc.?

It looks like a really great amp though!

"Does the V's Reverb cut in and out when changing channels?"
I don' t notice any cut. however u have independent reverb levels for each channel so it doesn't really matter

"Does the V change channels flawlessly?"
Mine does. no pop at all.

I know that there were some people when it just came out that were complaining with some "pop" switching channels.

Mine is perfect^^
Love this amp

Any popping could just be some sort of static electrical build up... I think it may have happened once, but I was using a different footswitch cause I hadn't gotten to the point of putting the Mark V footswitch on my pedal board yet. In any event, when it happened, it was the first channel switch after turning on the amp and then once it released that static build up there was no more popping the rest of the night. Never had a pop using the Mark V footswitch, but this footswitch displays all three channels active when you first power up the amp until you select one of the channels, could Mesa's answer to getting rid of the pop issue.

Andy,

Steve from Colo here. I saw your post and thought I'd chime in.

I have owned many Mesa Amps. Previous: Studio 22 1x12, SOB 1/2 stack, 2 Mk IIc+ 1x12s, Mk IVa 1x12, Triaxis/2:90, 2ch Dual Rec and Lonestar Classic 1x12. Current: Voodoo Modded 3ch Dual Rec, Mk III Blue stripe rackmnt and a Mark V head.

Changing channels from 2/3 to 1 with the Reverb set to a different level you hear a slight swell like in the Lonestars but it doesn't drop and then come in, if you understand this. This was something I hated about the Lonestars. Only noticeable if you are playing alone in a quiet room.

There is no popping noises even when playing Ridiculously loud, into 2 4x12s we VERY high gain, etc.

Each channel is the best that Mesa has done, with what they do. Best clean, Best crunch, Best Mark Gain. It won't keep up with my Dual Rec for Brutal Distortion but in a live situation I always take the V. It is THAT good. Period.

For just a Mark lead sound my Mark III is great but it is twice as noisy as the V.

One thing not many mention is how much the amp changes with the power setting changes. Each setting changes the structure of the power amp tone that you really have to hear to believe. I was recording in the 10watt modes last night into an EV mic to a Presonus and the sound I was getting was just magically in the recording. And I was doing it at a volume that allowed my family to watch American MIdol upstairs without hearing me.

There are things that I would have liked to have had but are not show-stoppers.
1. Assignable Reverb per channel - let me explain. I want Reverb on Ch1 and it to turn off when I switch to Ch2 without having it turned off in the back and still have the option to turn it on via the footswitch. Make sense?

2. Assignable FX loop, same as above

3. 2 Rectifier Tubes to run in full power in any channel

4. Channel 2 Mark I Bold switch needs to work on every mode in that channel

5. Pentode/Triode switch assignable for every channel

6. Some kind of guard over the 6L6/EL34 switch in the back. It is to easy to switch.

7. This amp Absolutely should ship with EL34s because this is not a Rhythm amp, it is a Lead amp and I personally pref it with the Mesa STR-447 tubes.

Another thing that would be nice, if Mesa reads this post, would be for them to start offering more preamp tubes options. A couple of years ago you could buy Mesa Russian or Mesa Chinese, now you can only buy generic Mesa. I would like to see Mesa Tung-Sol, Chinese, Penta, JJ, Sovtek, etc.

And if we going to have a wish list here:
On the Power Amp side put 6v6, KT88/6550 and Yellowjacket-optimised switches on the back of these things so we can try EVERY possible tube without voiding our warranty.

the only way you DON'T get a reverb swell, or not as noticeable of one, is if you have the reverb settings very very high.. i'd personally rather have a master reverb control, to avoid this annoyance! don't listen to those who say its not there, because it is.. :roll:

there is a little bit of noise when changing channels, like any amp.. nothing bad, unless you start switching between 10watts & 90watts, etc

Man! Keep it coming! This is all great information!

2. Assignable FX loop, same as above

3. 2 Rectifier Tubes to run in full power in any channel

4. Channel 2 Mark I Bold switch needs to work on every mode in that channel

6. Some kind of guard over the 6L6/EL34 switch in the back. It is to easy to switch.

Another thing that would be nice, if Mesa reads this post, would be for them to start offering more preamp tubes options. A couple of years ago you could buy Mesa Russian or Mesa Chinese, now you can only buy generic Mesa. I would like to see Mesa Tung-Sol, Chinese, Penta, JJ, Sovtek, etc.

These are some of the things that I've been pondering as well. I really like the idea of the different tube brands. I like the Mesa Chinese, but not the Mesa Russians. I have a small stash of the older (90's) Mesa preamp tubes that were Chinese. They actually sound great to me!

Now.....what about the Loop? I am determined to keep using my G-Major 2 and most likely a GCX or Amp Gizmo for channel switching. I really like my Ground Control Pro! It's the perfect size for me. I have this and a Bad Horsie II wah pedal on the floor and that is it! I love that!

I'm a bit stupid and my Mark IV used to intimidate the hell out of me. My Mark V however is much more simple and once you dial in the tone in your head you just leave it alone. I do recomend making a note of your settings though :D

I whole-heartedly thank you guys for the advice and wisdom.
I went to Rainbow Guitars today and spent about 2 hours with a Mark V head and a combo.
I like the cleans. The reverb is nice. I really like the Preset EQ knob.
But...I much prefer the distortion of my DC-10 and Tremoverb. The V has gobs of gain, but it's way tighter than I like. I like a little sloppiness and a lot of grit with my distortion tones.

It is truly a sweet amp, but I think I'll wait.

Thanks again though, your input was invaluable!

Latest posts

Back