Need Help with Recording (Mark III)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Howren

Reaction score
I am recording using a Tascam Portastudio, and I"m wondering if I should hook the amp in directly to it, or if I should use a mic. I have a 4X12 cabinet and a wireless dynamic mic. Will it sound bad if it's not a condenser mic? I'm not sure which jack to use for recording directly. The direct input was working fine for awhile, but I couldn't get a clean, punchy distorted sound, if that makes sense. Thank you for any other recording tips as well.

Okay, I'll simplify this. Which generally gets better sound quality : Miking an amp or directly plugging the amp into the mixer? I can't test this myself right now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kid Howren said:
Okay, I'll simplify this. Which generally gets better sound quality : Miking an amp or directly plugging the amp into the mixer? I can't test this myself right now so any help would be greatly appreciated.
simply put: miking. :D

I still haven't heard an amp that has a direct out that's even worth mentioning..nowdays, modelers like POD and V-amp2 can get decent sounds direct to board, but still miking is always a better solution..

if you want, check two clips of my studio22+ miked with a 2.5$ PC-mic:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3141
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2480

I tried running a direct line out of my MkIII in to a PA at a live show ONCE...

It did not sound good.

Definetely Mic the amp. Find yourself a Shure SM-57 and have some fun.

You may want to check out a Sennheiser e609 silver. It is specifically made for mic'ing guitar cabs....I use one live, and have recorded with one as well....I have found nothing better, and it beats the SM57 in my opinion. A much more open, yet focused sound.

RB

Thanks a lot. I have two Nady mics I can borrow from a friend to use that should be fine. Do condenser mics make a whole lot of difference?

I've gotten decent results using a Digital Music Corp. Cabtone. You can take the signal off the speaker or the direct out or the efx send on the amp. It makes the direct sound much more useable. You can also combine the Cabtone with a load device like a THD Hotplate(what I have) and record silently.

Concerning condenser vs. dynamic mics it's probably more important if they are omnidirectional vs. directed and how they are placed in front of an amp. I recently recorded some clips for a pickup comparison at home with my Mark IIB at bedroom level and a rather cheap electret condenser omnidirectional mic and was quite satisfied with the results.

In a professional recording studio expensive condenser mics are preferred of course, but they cost like two vintage Mark I's... ;)

The line out (IMO) sucks a a record out. Perhaps if you went to a speaker simulator first...

Latest posts

Back