My Mark III - standard or not??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdennis

Reaction score
My first on-my-own post :shock:

So I finally got around to testing the tubes to see why my .50 Caliber and my Heartbreaker have more volume and tone then my very early Mark III with a few of the the IIC+ parts [like the restamped IIC+ faceplate to reflect "Pull Rhythm 2" above Mid with Grey EQ grid]. Lo and behold I discovered something I had not read, known, or even heard of before. My R2/R1 button has an affect on my R1/Lead button. I mean I know that my R2 increases in volume over the R1 when I tap the R1/R2 foot switch to engage R2. I have read that normally it is the other way around and most have a mod done to get better control of the volume when shifting to R2. So anyway, there I was just after moving some preamp tubes around and replacing the V2 as well as throwing in some matched JJ 6L6GC and some of the Yellow Label Mesa EL34s I had laying around. I then check the reverb on a setting of 3.5 - very wet when engaged and still slightly there when not [check]. I then check the Lead and R1 with and without the EQ [check]. I then check the R1/R2 with and without the EQ [R2 is louder as well as crunchier either way [check]]. For whatever possessed me I stepped on the R2/R1 switch while the lead was engaged and - hmmm, am I hearing things? :?: O.K. I hit a power chord with the Lead engaged and the EQ on after switching the foot pedal to R1. While it just rings out I tap on the R1/R2 and as the R1/R2 switches back and forth I get a slightly thinner sound with the R1 and a slightly thicker sound when when I tap again to go to R2. I do the same while engaging and disengaging the EQ. O.K. maybe I am hearing things. I unplug and turn off every other device other then the Mark III and its fan. Only using my Baker guitar. Once again - same thing. :? :?

Long and short;

Reverb and EQ work like always no matter whatever else I do
R2 is louder than R1
Lead is louder with R2 engaged then with R1 engaged

Is this normal from anyone elses perspective and experience with a supposedly unmodified Mark III? Is this going to keep me up at nights until I know??? :shock: :shock: :? :| :oops:

Side note is that I am waiting for restocking to get the TAD 7025-S and =C= tubes for this Mark III to really test it again, but for now any response is appreciated.

Dennis

i've got an early very stock mark III (60 watts, no eq) that exhibits this same effect: pull mid (r2 on) while in the lead mode thickens the tone a bit & adds a little gain. The volume difference is minimal to non-existent though. i think of it as "turning it up to eleven" :^)

bartchamdoh said:
Have a a look at my thread ''The secret 4th channel on a Mark 3''.

Cool. I did not know about this secret 4th channel, I am rasing my hand like it asks in your thread, bartchamdoh. :lol:

Now I can't wait to get the TAD 7025-S and =C= power tubes. :D

Dennis

bartchamdoh said:

Couldn't find this thread but would love to read it. Could someone give me directions?

emoshurchak said:
bartchamdoh said:

Couldn't find this thread but would love to read it. Could someone give me directions?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40681&hilit=The+secret+4th+channel+on+a+Mark+3

There you go. It is a good read. :D

Dennis

Ive noticed the same thing on my purple stripe. intersting. gonna read that thread tomorrow.

jpdennis said:
emoshurchak said:
bartchamdoh said:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40681&hilit=The+secret+4th+channel+on+a+Mark+3

There you go. It is a good read. :D

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I had read about this a couple of weeks ago and can confirm that running Lead over R2 does effectively give you a useable "4th channel". Thanks for the interesting perspective bartchamdoh. You're right. This is an amazingly versatile amp!

Latest posts

Back