My Mark III is about to become a Mark III++.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJgo

Reaction score
Shipped it off yesterday! Now I wait. Probably a little longer than normal due to the state of the world, but that's ok.

This red stripe DRG long head is my third Mark III and the first one I've bonded with. The other two were blues that were too harsh for me. It was in generally good condition but there were some small issues so I decided to go ahead & send it in for service & modding. I can only find threads from a couple guys talking about having a III++ so I'm really curious what it will be like!

To be clear I DON'T want to "turn the amp into a IIC+". I've had four IIC+/++ in the past. I actually like that the III had its own nasty aggressive "1987" thing going on. Gain levels are already on par with a IIC++, it just doesn't have the touch sensitivity & liquid lead of the C+. My hope is that the mod opens it up without changing the snarl.

Before I shipped it out I recorded some riffs on all 3 channels, photographed the settings, and will do the same when it comes back to make a comparo vid since this doesn't exist yet to my knowledge. Here's a separate vid I did a couple weeks ago that shows the tone of the amp.
https://youtu.be/OW7Yz1FaVQE

That is something I look forward to hearing! I love my stock Red stripe, but I’m curious to hear what difference the ++ mod will do.

Are you gonna have Mike B. reduce the brightness or leave it as is? I have him reduce the brightness on the Simul's so they're more like the early Simul c+'s. Reducing the brightness makes the Lead channel smoother and more vocal. Also makes the Presence more useful.

This amp doesn't need a brightness reduction- I've been running the presence on 7. It's nothing like the blue & green stripes in that regard. That said, I figure he's going to do what he's going to do. :)

The work is done!! Now to wait for shipping!!

Mike found a LOT of things that needed attention. Cost was up there. From my perspective everything (but the reverb) worked great so it's a good feeling that he really went through the amp. Always worth the service cost.

I did find out that in order to get the full ++ effect on the III, both lead & R2 must be pulled. Without R2 pulled it's more like a III+. I dig that. When I had my IIC+s ++'d I opted not to make it switchable so this is good.

giphy.gif

Alright guys, the amp is back! I've been playing it for a few days to break it in since it's always stiff with a fresh cap job.

At first TBH I was a little put off because the hair is gone- it's a LOT smoother & more open and clear like a C+. But, at the same time it's more compressed like a IVb. Its "III"-ness (the hair) is gone. Which I didn't want. BUT.. after spending a few days with the amp & playing it at band practice I've come to figure the amp out and I have to say it is a gift. It is a FANTASTIC amp. 3 truly usable channels, crystal clean to ++ gain levels, SMOOTH gain structure, chewy but compressed. The amp is not a IIC+, or a III, or a IV. It's kind of like they all had a baby- it's different, and awesome! I've talked a lot about it in the review vid- check it out & let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/7lXarAKTa1I

Thanks for posting- it does sound great, but the personality has been clearly altered. In addition to what you mentioned, I feel it does sound slightly bigger/fuller. Not in a conspicuous way, though.

I'd say that's the added clarity. It's like taking a blanket off the speaker. That is one of the hallmarks of a C+ vs. other Marks.

Back