My current amp dilemma..I need recommendations!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATerminalSun

Reaction score
So first off some background on my situation:

I currently own a Mesa 3-channel Triple Rectifier. For the most part, I love the tone I can get from the hi-gain channel(3) & the clean is to suitable my liking as well. However, there is one HUGE problem: I get a LOUD pop when switching channels. This seems to be a common problem amonst these amps, as well as other Mesas. I have tried remedies/warm-up rituals, etc. to no avail. I've also talked to a couple reputable techs, both of which had experienced simular issues in the past & had no remedy. I do alot of channel switching (I play mosty Experimental/Ambient Metal w/ several clean passages..i.e-Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles, Tool) and use a signifact amount of effects (Delay, Reverb, etc.).

So long story short, I pretty much came to an ultimatum to either:

A) Sell the Triple Rec & continue my seemingly endless search for a suitable amp

OR

B) Find an additional head to handle the Clean channel (& possibly mid-gain) and use the Triple Rec soley for the High-Gain Channel, switching between heads via A-B switch.

That being said, What would be a good head for soley handling clean tones?

Priorities:
- Nice clean channel
- Works well w/ effects (Delay, Reverb)
- Preferably under $700 (used is fine.)
- Needs to have enough balls to be able to hang w/ the Mesa.
* A good sounding independant Mid-gain channel (Crunch) would be a plus.

Any suggestions?

Laney VH100R

Has strong low mids
Great cleans and distorted tones
LOUD! Sounds better the more you crank it
Silent and instant channel switching
Better note separation

or get a two channel version of the triple rec where the channel switching is instant but you do get a softer pop when switching channels. You can't hear it when playing live, so no big deal. I'm a big channel switcher myself.

I had a similar issue with my triple rec and the mesa tech ended up changing about 6 of the J175's. Now smooth quiet switching...

You can also increase the size of the time-constant cap in the switching mute circuit. This should cure the pop but will also introduce more of a delay when switching, which can be equally annoying. With some of these amps it can be a balancing act to get a good compromise between the two.

cradlefish said:
Laney VH100R

Has strong low mids
Better note separation

or get a two channel version of the triple rec where the channel switching is instant but you do get a softer pop when switching channels. You can't hear it when playing live, so no big deal. I'm a big channel switcher myself.

I used to own a Laney AOR head a while back. Is the VH100R comparible to the AOR?

Metaghius said:
I had a similar issue with my triple rec and the mesa tech ended up changing about 6 of the J175's. Now smooth quiet switching...

I might be interested in trying this. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have a tech do this? I could probably do it myself it it just involves some soldering, but if it's more technical I'd prefer to take it to a tech to be safe.

Thanks for the input.

ATerminalSun said:
cradlefish said:
Laney VH100R

Has strong low mids
Better note separation

I used to own a Laney AOR head a while back. Is the VH100R comparible to the AOR?

It's different from the AOR. I use to own one too. The AOR is closer to a JCM800. The VH100R has an entirely different preamp section. It's voiced between a cross between an Orange/Hiwatt and Mesa. Both my VH100R and 2 ch Triple Rec sounds great.

ATerminalSun said:
Metaghius said:

I might be interested in trying this. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have a tech do this? I could probably do it myself it it just involves some soldering, but if it's more technical I'd prefer to take it to a tech to be safe.

It cost about 150.00 and the parts were like 15.00..you may be able to do the job your self but if you had a tech nearby I would recommend taking it to them. The J175's have three prongs on them that can make it difficult to remove and install.

Latest posts

Back