MKIV reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogietone

Reaction score
My MKIV A version's reverb is awesome. It sounds fantastic. My MKIV B version...umm, not so much. In fact, not useable. It works. It just doesn't sound like a reverb at all. It's like a trebly nonmusical sound that follows the notes. Not a good description I know but the best I can come up with. Is there a mod or something I can do to remedy this? Would changing a 12AX7 for the reverb to a 12AT7 help? A new reverb tank? It is a 2005 amp. Did Mesa package there amps for shipment with foam in the reverb tank to protect the springs? I don't really want to remove that thing if I don't have to. Not that it's difficult just don't want to damage it accidently. Anyways, thanks in advance.

Same with mine, I'm pretty sure that's just the way it is.

I have an A and a B - the reverbs sound the same to me. The B is from '96 I think. I have interchanged the tanks before while switching to rackmount and head cabs and combo and back and never noticed a difference.

You can't change the tube to an AT7. The V3 and V4 are used for both Reverb and Lead functions.
They are basically each half reverb and half lead circuits for each tube.

I have no direct experience with Mark IV's thoug it would seem to me if one is great and the othe sucks there would be something wrong with it. I would have a Tech check it out.

My Mark III is in the shop with a dead Reverb right now.

My A version's reverb was dead when I got it. I eventually found a broken black wire inside the reverb tank itself. I ordered a new reverb tank from accutronics using the specs printed on the old reverb tank. The reverb sounds really good on that amp. My B version I guess I'll have to find a solution. I'm using a Line6 verbzilla with it right now but am debating on going full tilt with this amp and getting a processor. I don't use many effects though. Just reverb and a little delay for leads.

I have a brand new reverb tank out of a roadster that I pulled a switcheroo with for my MRK 2C+. I never did like the reverb on these amps. I would much rather of had the xport tranny instead. Besides I just recently put the amp back into a head shell..so I m still not using it. I think I would rather just take it out of the shell for more room anyhow. I'll sell it to ya?

boogietone said:
My MKIV A version's reverb is awesome. It sounds fantastic. My MKIV B version...umm, not so much. In fact, not useable. It works. It just doesn't sound like a reverb at all. It's like a trebly nonmusical sound that follows the notes. Not a good description I know but the best I can come up with. Is there a mod or something I can do to remedy this? Would changing a 12AX7 for the reverb to a 12AT7 help? A new reverb tank? It is a 2005 amp. Did Mesa package there amps for shipment with foam in the reverb tank to protect the springs? I don't really want to remove that thing if I don't have to. Not that it's difficult just don't want to damage it accidently. Anyways, thanks in advance.

Try pulling the foam shipping damper out of the spring pan. That one must have gotten over looked.

Pulled the reverb all apart. No foam in the tank to dampen it for shipping. Everything looks great. So, it is just the reverb is not good. Thanks everyone for your input and help. Unless there is a mod out there for MKIV B version reverbs I think we're just stuck. I like my A version's reverb though!
Thanks again!

It would seem that the preamp tube tasks are different in the A version:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/boogieamps/boogie_mkiv.pdf

and on page 17 of the B version manual:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf

Or maybe I just can't read schematics. :lol:

Yeah, they're different I've discovered.
On a separate note, which leads go to which jacks on the reverb tank? Just want to make sure those are right and weren't backwards to begin with. One lead is black and the other is white. It was black to the output when I took the tank out and white to the input. Is this the correct hookup?

I'm getting a weird sort of high pitched buzzing addition to my tone when clicking in the reverb. It's not very nice!

It happens more as you turn up the lead drive. I want the lead drive turned up high but I can't stand the way it affects tone. I have changed all the preamp tubes and it doesn't change.

Does anyone else have this?

i have a 4b and i think the reverb is "weak" and little audible.i can hear it well only if i put the reverb on high levels..i also have a studio preamp that has a stronger(louder) reverb(even the hum in the studio pre is louder).

boola said:
I'm getting a weird sort of high pitched buzzing addition to my tone when clicking in the reverb. It's not very nice!

It happens more as you turn up the lead drive. I want the lead drive turned up high but I can't stand the way it affects tone. I have changed all the preamp tubes and it doesn't change.

Does anyone else have this?

This happened to me when I removed the chassis to install the footswitch holder. I had plugged the reverb cables (white and gray ones) in backwards. At the time I didn't know. I took it to my tech shortly after for other problems and mentioned the reverb problem. Turned out the high pitch was caused because the cables were in backwards. Oops!

Give it a try.

Latest posts

Back