MK IV Presence Pot Volume Difference When In/Pulled?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoismetal

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a MK IV B widebody combo recently. It looks almost brand new with the exception of a broken presence pot shaft.

I just replaced the pot for a brand new one from mesa. I wired everything exactly the same as it was. The tone cap and the hot/ground plug are all in the right lugs.

However, I just noticed that there is a noticeable (not huge, but definitely there) in volume when the pot is pushed in. It is louder when in the IN (not pulled position).

I have no way of knowing if this is normal or not since the shaft was broken way too short and I have no idea if it was stuck in the pulled/not pulled position.

Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks in advance,

Mando

mandoismetal said:
Hello all,

I bought a MK IV B widebody combo recently. It looks almost brand new with the exception of a broken presence pot shaft.

I just replaced the pot for a brand new one from mesa. I wired everything exactly the same as it was. The tone cap and the hot/ground plug are all in the right lugs.

However, I just noticed that there is a noticeable (not huge, but definitely there) in volume when the pot is pushed in. It is louder when in the IN (not pulled position).

I have no way of knowing if this is normal or not since the shaft was broken way too short and I have no idea if it was stuck in the pulled/not pulled position.

Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks in advance,

Mando

Yes that is normal.

Rick

Thanks all for your replies!

I really appreciate any feedback I can get.

On a similar note, and I'm sure this has been asked before, once I was finished replacing the pot, I forgot to plug in the speaker to the amp and "played" for a bit while trying to figure out why there was no sound coming out of it. It took me a couple of minutes before I realized what I had done. I panicked a bit since there seemed to be some sort of humming that would build up after a few minutes on the lead channel.

However, this morning I moved the amp to a different spot and the humming/static went away. I figured it could have been some sort of interference with the amp being too close to my computer equipment and a little storm we had yesterday evening over here.

With that being said, is there a way to tell if there was any damage done to the amp from using it without a load? The amp seems good for now and I can't really crank it as I've head before to see if the OT is arcing the power tubes.

Thanks again,

Mando

Latest posts

Back