MK III Fan

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always feel better when the fan is on, but it is not a must have. In the combo's it only really cool the outer three tubes, but it's better than purely roasting the tubes. To keep them quiet, I do my own refurb and apply a good amount of dielectric great to the fan magnets and housing. After that they are barely noticeable. On of the fans on my head sounded like a turbine jet engine until I did the rebuild. It's now something that you have to listen for to hear. If you want to upgrade, the new Mesa Globe fans are very quiet, but to maintain originality I still use the Howard Cyclohm's.

Can you just pull out the fan or will it make an electrical problem. I expect not but I want to be pretty careful.

pmb said:
Can you just pull out the fan or will it make an electrical problem. I expect not but I want to be pretty careful.

You can pull the plug on the fan from the outlet without creating a problem.

You can switch to a 220 volt fan. It will work perfectly and be much quieter. You can also easily install an in line switch to turn it off when you are playing at lower volumes. If you are playing at lower volumes and the ambient temperature isn't very hot, you probably don't need the fan.

Actually I was poking around to see if there was something stuck in the fan and the connector just fell off. It had some kind of clear silicone around it.

I use the Boogie for recording and can barely crack it over 2 without tearing everyones' heqads off, so I may just leave it. I run my blonde Bassman on 11 all day long and have never had a tube failure!

Bruce

Noise from the fan can usually be attributed to a bad V1 tube.

Call or email Mesa and talk to Michael Taylor, he's pretty accessable to the techs and MB. He'll tell you the same about the V1 microphonics and fan noise. [email protected]

A better fix than yanking the fan, just get some quality, vintage american tubes.

Latest posts

Back