METAL!!!!! mesa wins

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play a Mark IV through a Recto cab for metal, and absolutly love it. I use a little compression, and a gate to cut the squeal. I've retubed with JJ's using high gain preamp tubes (115+). No distortion or overdrive effects, and it freakin' shreds all day long. Taking time to get the amp set up and EQ tweaked is the key. Patience is a virtue. The Mark IV has been used by pros like Lamb of God and Metallica to record and perform some seriously heavy stuff. I think this amp sounds heavier than a 5150 or Dual Rec when set up right. Mine rips faces off. I really think you can't go wrong the Mark IV, just listen to LOG's "As the Palaces Burn" and you'll know what I mean. I'm pretty sure that album was recorded with the Mark IV.

Hey MRT,

Try checking out The Mesa Road King on channel four (2 EL34s and 4 6L6s dialed up) on the Modern Setting with gain set to about 6 or 7. Channel 4 has substantial headroom and massive high gain if that is what you are going for. It appears as though you are not a Peavey fan, but I would recommend the old School 5150 or the 5150 II head unit. Most hardcore, death, and metalcore bands like Chimaira and In Flames use those 5150 amps in their rig. The new Peavey 6505 and 6505+ amps that are out now are not as good in my opinion. These amps have all new circuitry ever since EVH dropped from Peavey. And if these two amps are no good, Try the Fender Metal Head. Although some people will stick their nose up at it because it is solid state, dont knock it till you try it. That thing is LOUD!!!! 500 Watt unit and built like a tank.

Good Luck

metalmaster,, O.K ,, I just picked up the mark iv,,, guitarcenter was giving it away at 870 out the door,, i think thats a good price?? any ways i also got a mesa cab off e-bay, now i'm starting to understand mesa,, i could not get that smooth scooped metal sound at all through my marshall cabs,,, as soon as i got the mesa cab,, plugged it in ,not really thinking it would be different,, I WAS WRONG!!!! i still dont know what the cab is i just picked it up today,,, its huge way bigger than my 1960's,, but i still have a EQ hooked up to it,,,, mesa is the metal sound,, I dont play like god smack or crap like that,,, i just play rock/metal,, iron maiden type stuff,, with a biger sound,,, thanks to all,, i got to try the road king,, the name sounds sweet,,,

I think that is a **** good price. Glad to see you found what you were looking for.

yeah, i really got the mark iv toned in,, no EQ, no pedals, not even effects!!!!! the very first time i played a show with just a head, cab, and flying V :shock: :shock: , i for got my boss delay pedal, the cab really made the sound for me, i took off the back and to my amazement there was vintage green backs in there,, now i really hate MARSHALL 1960's CABINETS,,

THANKS AGAIN FOR SHOWING ME THE LIGHT, MESA RULES :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

mrt said:
yeah, i really got the mark iv toned in,, no EQ, no pedals, not even effects!!!!! the very first time i played a show with just a head, cab, and flying V :shock: :shock: , i for got my boss delay pedal, the cab really made the sound for me, i took off the back and to my amazement there was vintage green backs in there,, now i really hate MARSHALL 1960's CABINETS,,

THANKS AGAIN FOR SHOWING ME THE LIGHT, MESA RULES :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

AHAAHHA.....lol...there are quite a few of these sort of post's on here hey....

Well. I have had a dual channel rackmount Dual Rectifier since January this year. What a great amp, its only downside is being heavy as hell while carrying in the rack. In the summer, I got my hands on a little Subway Rocket - with an external cab with a V30 - a great metal sound as well. The best thing about this amp is, that if you turn it up, you get some nice power tube compression and the gain can be turned very low (for my standards at least:) I would love to get a F-30, as it sounds really close to the Rocket, but has 30 W and a V30 inside - a perfect small amp.

This Thursday, I spent a few hours in a big store and played all the combos they have had available - HK Switchblade (cool), Some Soldanos, Kochs, Peavey Valveking (quite a positive Marshall-like surprise:), Mesa LoneStar (nice sound, but not my style), some Randalls and some other quite high-end brands. I was searching for metal tones, of course. I liked none of them as much as my Recto or F-series amps, which I have played. I guess its once Mesa - all the time Mesa:)

Back