Mesa Subway Blues Problem's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divrack

Reaction score
I just bought an older Mesa subway blues I use to have a subway rocket which i loved but had to sell a few years back. i was looking to save a coupe of bucks so I went with the Subway Blues considering it was going to be just a back up. Unfortunalty for me and the buyer we couldn't match schedules ( he was an hour and a half away from me ) so he ended up leaving the amp for me on his porch and I dropped him the cash with out playing it. I brought it home plugged it in and it seemed fine. I finally got to play it last night and the hum was really loud in addtiton every time i turn up the volume it breaks or cracks.It sounds fantastic but the hum is way to loud and the volume is breaking up is a concern. Ive been reading thru a lot of these posts ( many way to technical for me) And im getting the feeling that i may have a simple fix or i got a bad egg. I thought well maybe the tubes need to be changed. I do not know the age of the amp or when the tubes where changed he told me but I plain forgot I spoke to a lot of differant people in the process of buying one. It does have the fat and bright input on it. I looked for the serial number but couldn't find it. Anybody know the location? The amp wasnt cheap I paid 360 for it now im kicking my self because for another 100 or so bucks i could have had a premium like new subway rocket. Any suggestions on what may be the problem and how to fix would be appreciated. This is my practice and back up amp, I cant lug around my hot rod 2-12 ( it made a very strange noises at rehersal the other day itself like i hit a super overdrive pedal for 3 seconds and turned it off very weird) I was planning on using this for recording as well to my boss BR900 and some local gigs with my accoustic and my mustang. No way to record with that hum. I havn't cranked it past 3 yet like I said Its in my bedroom. The longer it stayed on the louder the buzz. I thought my blues deville was a loud amp as far as hum compared to my buddies Super reverb which is whisper quiet. This thing sounds like a 100 watt marshall cranked up to blow the room out Any suggestions ? Taking the amp back isnt one of them as is where is. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom ( besides not plugging in and playing before buying (duh)

If it's a first-series Subway Blues with separate Bright/Fat inputs, the hum problem is probably a known issue with the input jacks. The fix will involve replacing one of the input jacks with a switch that switches between Bright and Fat modes. I'd look into this first and then see if any issues remain. There's at least one thread here about this symptom. I'll try to find it and add a link here.

Thanks I thought it might have something to do with the inputs because I had a Fender super sixty that had issues which I had to replace one. But I turned the amp on with nothing plugged in still& have noise or doesnt that matter Sorry if i sound stupid Im NOT a technical person
Thank You any more info is much appreciated Now I have to find a good amp tech in NJ Which seem to be hard to find so far

Thanks for the reply what is the story with the volume breaking up ? When I turn up any of the controls its sounds like you are dialing in an old transistor radio fast Especially on the treble. The hum is def louder on the middle/ drive chanel which i guess would be expected but the volume break ups are really bad. Im going to have to play it tonight loud and long and see if anything else pops up thanks

Just to clarify—is this a Subway Blues, or a Subway Rocket? The reason I ask is that you mention the "drive channel"—and the Subway Blues is a single-channel amp.

Just spoke with the guy I bought it from He bought it in 94 95 and it was a few years old at the time These are the original tubes in this unit !! The amp has not been played in several years mention something about cleaning out the pots It was not covered

thanks found a guy right by where i work going to check the tubes, pots for corrosion and possible ground wire on some connections said no big dea may not need to mess with the inputs l apprerciate your help ! :p Will let you know what happens

Yes, get the pots cleaned. Had the same issue with my Subway Rocket. Same symptoms as you describe - volume changes when you turn the pots.

Hey I the had two small tubes replaced by the local Mesa Guy who said that ws the problem I guess they didnt bother to let the amp run after that because I have the exact same problem as before except it starts in after about 4 minutes or so Im taking it back to them. ( another 40 mile round trip) They did clean the pots so the crackle is gone but there is NO way an amp should make that kind of noise Of course the guy I bought it from has fallen off the face of the earth I already sank another 100 into this amp and im begining to think its shot and Ill never get my money back I know have 460.00 invested into this amp Any suggestions ?

Back