Mesa Nomad 55 Tube rattle

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel K

Reaction score
I just aquired a Mesa Nomad 55 212, and it is absolutely awesome, the tones are heavenly.

Anyways, I am starting to get some tube rattle now. I believe it's power tube rattle, but when I put hand against the power tubes (6L6's) they were firmly in place, but I can't tell where else it could be coming from!!

Is there anything I can do? Is changing the tubes the only possible answer?

Thanks
Danny

you grabbed your power tubes? OUCH!

may be the reverb tank, but you would hear it amplified with the reverb on. also might be the chassis. try removing the chassis from the amp and running it(keep hands away from the inside!!!!!) to see if the noise is still there.

musicbox said:
you grabbed your power tubes? OUCH!

may be the reverb tank, but you would hear it amplified with the reverb on. also might be the chassis. try removing the chassis from the amp and running it(keep hands away from the inside!!!!!) to see if the noise is still there.

I didn't touch the power tubes while the amp was on, that would of burned :p

I am hoping it's something in the chassy, I'll have to check that out.

Anyone have other ideas?

Tap on the power tubes with a pencil (eraser) and see if you hear a rattle. Power tubes usually don't rattle because their loose in their sockets, it's the actual components inside the tube that rattle.

The two killers are age and vibration. Combo amps are nasty as they can shake a tube to death. Age comes in the form of a tube heating and cooling. This cycle can change the alignment of the inner parts, usually leading to the hearing of a rattling sound.

Nomad100 said:
Tap on the power tubes with a pencil (eraser) and see if you hear a rattle. Power tubes usually don't rattle because their loose in their sockets, it's the actual components inside the tube that rattle.

The two killers are age and vibration. Combo amps are nasty as they can shake a tube to death. Age comes in the form of a tube heating and cooling. This cycle can change the alignment of the inner parts, usually leading to the hearing of a rattling sound.

Thanks for your response!

I just tried tapping on it with a pencils eraser, and I heard a little rattle from the power tubes. :cry:

How muc do new 6L6's cost? and should I change the preamp tubes along with changing the power tubes?

How much will this cost me?

Thanks

power tubes and preamp tubes may be changed independatly. a new matched pair of 6l6 will run you around 30-50 dollars. please buy either mesa tubes, or someone who can grade tubes for your amp: dougstubes.com, eurotubes.com...

musicbox said:
power tubes and preamp tubes may be changed independatly. a new matched pair of 6l6 will run you around 30-50 dollars. please buy either mesa tubes, or someone who can grade tubes for your amp: dougstubes.com, eurotubes.com...

Thanks, I'm not going to cheap out with this amp. I will for sure being getting Mesa tubes since they are meant for Mesa's. :p

Latest posts

Back