Mesa Half Back - Replacement speakers for ultimate cleans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Cleans cab" or "Metal cab"

• Both, run it stereo separating the top/bottom and use for recording purposes mainly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Load it for Amazing Cleans

• Load it for Metal (metal from current century)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Put some toltex on it

• Total voters

Thundarr

Reaction score
I got a good deal on this old cabinet. It looks like it's been on a few world tours circa 1987 and may have been caught in an intense sandstorm where the protective vinyl covering was completly disintegrated, leaving only black looking glue residue.

63127_10151328490678035_1803338437_n.jpg

I think many of these cabs came with EVM-12L's in the sealed bottom. This one was Vintage (VS-12) and regular Black Shadows (C-90). I wasn't crazy about how it handled any type of high gain. 80's roarin' at ya and I am more of a low tuned modern metal guy (this would be a killer cab for blues though, raspy).

I am thinking of completely reloading it and adding a mono/stereo jack that separates the top and bottom. Maybe some Swamp Thangs in the bottom for boom and something else in the top (which could also be sealed up).

I could see some potential here for an amazing cleans cab since open backs kind of let loose and resonate in a way that sealed cabs don't. I was loving the way this old beast filled the room.

I have an awesome V30 cab for modern metal (ENGL 4x12). I wouldnt be against something different sounding (maybe a dash darker) for recording or just switching it up. When I say metal I mean from this millennium or decade though. Some people still think "metal" is that hair/spandex stuff from the 80's, that is not the direction I wanna go. I use a 7-string in F# sometimes.

What do you guys think? I am not interested in blues or light rock or lo-fi vintage. I want warm tinkly cleans that dont have V30 bite, or an angry throaty kind of tone for high gain stuff. These are some of my ideas-

Cleans cab: Swamp Thang / Tonespotter, leave top open

Metal cab: Swamp Thang / V30 clone (Vet 30, Gov'na, etc), seal top

Amps: Ibanez Thermion with 6550's (dark gritty cleans, high gain somewhere between Marshall & Recto; fizzy unless cranked), Mesa D180 (bold "direct" sounding cleans, vintage high gain unless reshaped by a real modern sounding cab)

Hi!

I don't have answer to your question but if you are getting rid of Black Shadow speakers I would like to by one for my 1x12" cabinet.

I sold the VS-12's and still have the Celestion Black Shadows. Shipping to Finland sounds a little pricey. These speakers are well broken in, like potentially over broken in.

I assume you are not anywhere near so it's most probably too pricey.

Latest posts

Back