Matching pickups to the Mark v.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khorah.pds

Reaction score
Fellow MV owners. I have an Epiphone Elitist les paul that i'm putting new pick ups in.

I play jam band/pyschedelic/prog style music. I really have no idea what to put in them. I'm looking for a hotter pickup, but not a "shred" pick up. Any suggestions from the community are welcome!

my favorite players are: Frank & Dweezil Zappa, Trey Anastasio, John Petrucci, Santana along those lines. Articulate, liquid and versitile.

Help me bring the best out my rig!

Bareknuckle Pickups, hands down. They're pricey but they live up to the hype. The have vast selection for about any style.

DWAKO said:
Bareknuckle Pickups, hands down. They're pricey but they live up to the hype. The have vast selection for about any style.

Agree - Sounds like one of their Vintage Hot models will do. I picked up an Abraxas - waiting on my guitar body to ship.

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage_hot

have you researched the likes of trey and your idols? they may be using something you like.

I always thought it was better to have cooler pickups and let the amp do the work. Hrmm.

I always thought it was better to have cooler pickups and let the amp do the work. Hrmm.

I completely agree, and the guys at Bare Knuckle understand this. That's why even the contemporary "Hot" output pickups are really more medium high output in comparison to most other pickups companies. I used Dimarzio D activators with my Mark V and they never felt or sounded quite right, they were too harsh and had an unwanted chunkiness and harshness. I switched to Alnico V Nailbombs and they really made all the difference in the world. I love Bare Knuckle pickups so much I ended up purchasing Nailbomb Ceramics and they're on the way right now. :)

Bare Knuckle pickups are awesome. They have an openness as well as a harmonic evenness and richness that is mind blowing.

Just be sure to upgrade the electronics in the guitar as well. This makes a huge difference!

I think it all depends on the style of music. If I want to do ultra high gain metal I use EMG actives especially in a 7 where the low b can get washed out. But for standard metal and rock I much prefer a lower output humbucker. I feel they have more detail and articulation. But Ive also had the pleasure of seeing what a hot humbucker can do for the mark V. It all depends really.

Gibson Burstbucker Pro or 57 Classic! I've played tons of Gov't Mule and Santana with these pups!

The Dimarzio PAF 36 pickups are very nice. They were based off of a Les Paul pickup, so it would be a good fit. Output is moderate and the sound is open and warm with plenty of responsiveness.

I have rio grande bbq buckers is two of my guitars and like them very much with the V. My strat has a duncan hot rails that sounds great also.

It would be great if there was a sort of standard plug and play design that let you pop in a pickup at the store to try different models. Probably be fewer pickups on the market too.

I have Burstbuckers in my Les Paul. Generally, I like them. They do have a grind or bite to them, being that they are scatterwound, and the top end can sound a little trash canny. I'm interested in trying Lindy Fralin's Pure PAF. Supposedly they sound like old PAFs. Supposedly.

I also have a hot rodded Strat with a Bareknuckle VHII in it. Eh. I've stopped playing that guitar since I put it in.

Jedro said:
It would be great if there was a sort of standard plug and play design that let you pop in a pickup at the store to try different models. Probably be fewer pickups on the market too.

I have Burstbuckers in my Les Paul. Generally, I like them. They do have a grind or bite to them, being that they are scatterwound, and the top end can sound a little trash canny. I'm interested in trying Lindy Fralin's Pure PAF. Supposedly they sound like old PAFs. Supposedly.

I also have a hot rodded Strat with a Bareknuckle VHII in it. Eh. I've stopped playing that guitar since I put it in.

there actually was such a system. Gene liberty used to make guitars where pickups got inserted into the back of his guitars. They were wired into wood cassette like blanks and you would simply unplug them and swap them. You got like 10 blanks with the guitars to wire different pickups to them and swap. The idea died fast and hard. Not many guitarists will say that you would get the true idea of a pickup with a guitar modified that heavily to get the pickups in and out that quick.

Back