Marshall 1960 4x12 vs. Mesa Stiletto 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Which cab do you think has better bass response? A Marshall 1960 straight cab or a Mesa Stiletto Traditional slant cab?

They really will be close to the same.

Marshall straight is not a true straight, as it is really slanted, with just the overhang.

depending on the speakers in the marshall cab will also decide, if it has greenbacks well then it will be less, if it has V30's it will sound close to the mesa cab, although mesa cabs use a slightly different v30 with a little less mid's and a lower bottem end. If the Marshall has 75's it will be close to the basss response but will sound different then the mesa cab.

barneyc4 said:
Which cab do you think has better bass response? A Marshall 1960 straight cab or a Mesa Stiletto Traditional slant cab?

for my part i think i'm going to buy used a marshall cab just for the 75's that i will put in my mesa straight cab. I will put the vintage in my wet section cabs. :wink:

siggy14 said:
although mesa cabs use a slightly different v30 with a little less mid's and a lower bottem end. If the Marshall has 75's it will be close to the basss response but will sound different then the mesa cab.

Mesa cabs don't use any form of modded V30s. I confirmed this at Mesa Headquarters talking with a rep. He said the cab construction changes the voicing. And the Speakers are regular Celestion V30s.

I would think the Mesa Cabinet would be beter, even if the 1960 uses V30s, because the cabs are voiced differently
The only Marshall cabinet that could yield a gain in performance would be the 1960BHW since its materials used to make it are of higher quality (than 1960/BV/AV),
but the gain in quality doesn't justify the price.

I am pretty sure that is only on there new speakers, mesa V30's use to be rated at 70 Watts each, now they are just using the normal 60 Watt V30's. It was always known in the industry that they hand picked certain V30's that were a little darker with less mid's and a deeper bottem end. That is what avatar was selling for awhil.

I think since the shift in music scene mesa decided to go with the normal V30's since everyone wants more mids now and the wall of sound scene is gone.

moriyuki said:
siggy14 said:
although mesa cabs use a slightly different v30 with a little less mid's and a lower bottem end. If the Marshall has 75's it will be close to the basss response but will sound different then the mesa cab.

Mesa cabs don't use any form of modded V30s. I confirmed this at Mesa Headquarters talking with a rep. He said the cab construction changes the voicing. And the Speakers are regular Celestion V30s.

I would think the Mesa Cabinet would be beter, even if the 1960 uses V30s, because the cabs are voiced differently
The only Marshall cabinet that could yield a gain in performance would be the 1960BHW since its materials used to make it are of higher quality (than 1960/BV/AV),
but the gain in quality doesn't justify the price.

I own both a 1960B and a Traditional slant. I can tell you that with the 75's in the Marshall and the V30's (70 watt) in the Mesa, the difference isn't very large as far as the bottom end goes. The 75's do sound a little more naturally mid-scooped than the V30's though.

Russ said:
I own both a 1960B and a Traditional slant. I can tell you that with the 75's in the Marshall and the V30's (70 watt) in the Mesa, the difference isn't very large as far as the bottom end goes. The 75's do sound a little more naturally mid-scooped than the V30's though.

Lets say they both had V30s and you had to choose between the Mesa or the Marshall. Which one would you choose?

IMO a marshall cab ( 75') i used at practice sounded some what darker than the mesa cab with v30's. but my diezel cab loaded with v30's and cl80's sounded better than both thicker brighter more low end but not boomy and more high end but it was thicker not shrill

I had a 1960BV cab and I kept the 1960B with 75's because I have a 1960A with 65's. I also have a 1960A with 75's though. For what I was playing and the Marshall I was using the 75's did a better job than the BV cab. I also knew I was getting the Mesa so to me it was a no brainer. I sold the BV. If I had to choose one or the other to play with my Dual I would have to pick the Mesa only because I like the sound of the Traditional cab with V30's with it. I didn't get to play my 1960BV with it but I am sure the sound difference would again be only a slight difference. The Mesa Traditional slant gets better dispersion than the BV ever did. If I was to compare a 1960AV and a Mesa Traditional I am not sure which would sound better. Here I am talking about older Marshall cabs too not the newer crap that they are putting out these days. I think a lot of your choice will depend upon what you are actually playing. I can see how some styles will benefit slightly from playing through straight cabs v. slants.

Latest posts

Back