Mark V25 to Powered Monitor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimate1

Reaction score
I recently got a Mark V 25 and I am wanting to play with my backing tracks at bedroom volumes without wearing a headset. I googled this topic a bunch of times and finally came across a post on another board where a guy used the cabclone from his Mark V to XLR out to a powered Tannoy speaker monitor so that he could do the same thing as I am wanting to do with backing tracks.

I read the user manual for the Mark V but I figured it best to ask for help to make certain this can be done and done correctly. My understanding is that I switch the speaker toggle switch off and plug in the XLR cable into the cabclone di out on my Mark V then run that cable to the XLR in on the powered monitor. Then I can also connect my ipad/iphone into the aux in section of the powered monitor. End result I hear my guitar and backing tracks on the monitor. Please let me know if this thought process is correct.

Is this also the way one would run a cable from the XLR out of the Mark V to an XLR in on a PA, portable PA or a mixer?

Not very experienced with this stuff so I figured it best to be safe and ask for help. I did do a search on the board and did not find a clear cut answer or an answer that I could understand so I apologize if I am asking something that was already answered way back.

Thanks in advance

Yes, that would work. But a proper guitar cabinet at very low volume would sound much better IMO.

Also, are you sure that the inputs on your monitor mix together? Most of the time it's either/or. So you would need a mixer to accomplish this.

You can also look into a power soak if you're concerned about volume. I've used a Weber Mini Mass with a Marshall for a while now.

https://www.tedweber.com/minimass

When I had a Mark V 25 I ran the Cabclone line out to a little Mackie mixer that also had my computer soundcard running into it which I could use to play backing tracks.
Worked pretty well, but was not real crazy about the tone.
I am using a Torpedo Reload loadbox with my Mark V 90 and like it a lot and run it into my mixer setup with good results.

I used to play through the PA every band rehearsal night for many years and it works really well, done the same in the past with studio/formula/rectifier preamps - nice tone and works well in a mix but you miss a lot of feel and dynamics. Make sure you spend time getting all the different gain stages right and you will be rewarded by a much sweeter sound - the preamp valves need to work reasonably hard to get the best sound. The output of the Mark V DI can be a rather hot line level, I've found it sounds much better connected to my Focusrite mic preamp's rather than a TRS line level input as it gives you better control of the input signal.

I would second the suggestion to use your cab at a lower volume (along with the PA for backing tracks etc.), the feel/dynamics/tone are so much better even at whisper quiet levels. I've used attenuators to reduce the cab volume but I didn't like the sound much when heavily attenuated, to my ears you are far better off sticking a volume control in the fx loop instead as that doesn't seem to have any penalty at all.

Hey guys thanks for your help. I almost bought a powered monitor and then I decided to take the hour ride to the nearest Boogie dealer and we discussed a couple of options. He said that the cab clone out to a powered monitor will work but I will probably have to readjust my settings on my head to get the sound I want. He also suggested that I can run a small mixer through the effects loop as a better option because the settings that I have dialed in can stay the same as I am using the same speaker cabinet and that the backing tracks can run on the mini mixer and be heard through the speaker cabinet. He also mentioned that the backing tracks won't harm the speaker. So I decided to try the mixer through the loop.

He had a used Beringer but suggested a new Yamaha small mixer and gave me the choice of one with a USB and one without. I opted for the smaller one without USB. He didn't have them in stock so he ordered it and I get to demo it one of their amps next week to make sure it does what I want. I figure I can always get an interface later if I decide to record. For now it is getting my timing down. I took a lot of years off and then got back into playing a couple of years ago. Relearned a lot of songs and now want to play with the tracks and see where it goes from there.

Thanks again guys

Back