Mark V Channel Switching Lag

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsoord

Reaction score
Hi All

Sorry, I know this has been discussed before (i spent some time searching before posting), but can someone clarify what the actual channel switch lag is on the boogie? I have my MKV head setup with a G-System, 4 cable method using serial FX sends from MkV and mini-amp gizmo. It's perfect, I adore the tone of the MkV. But I really hate the lag. It means I can't switch from crunch to hi-gain mid song without compromising my playing or sound (ie it totally kills the impact of the first 'chug' after change).

To prove the point, here is a screen shot from a recording of my MkV. It shows that using the Mesa switch (top image) and G and Gizmo (bottom image) BOTH display a lag (silence) of 140ms. This is noticeable and if I can't fix it, I will be forced to change my amp and I really don't want to...

gizmo_test.JPG

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Bruce

I bought one of these to clean up long midi cable runs. I was noticing a slight lag until I started using it in my mark V rig with the line6 m9 and the Mini amp Gizmo. The box cleans up the midi signal and boost it at the same time allowing you to split across 4 channels.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/midi-solutions-quadra-4-output-midi-thru-box

If you are still notice a lag when not using midi and the mark V foot switch you might want to contact boogie support. When using the supplied foot pedal I dont notice any lag.

Can anyone else confirm this much lag when using the Mesa footswitch? 140 ms is significant, and while I've never tested the delay quantitatively, I really doubt I get this much lag. I send MIDI CC over an old console arcade stick -> USB converter -> Bome's MIDI Translator to convert CC to PC -> hardware MIDI interface -> G-Major 2 relay jack -> Mark V for channel switching, so I feel like if anyone deserves lag, it's me. It's just under 50 feet of cable. I'll have to mic my cab and test sometime.

My MKV channel switching has no noticable lag at all, with either the footswitch or via MIDI with a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher.

I agree, 140ms is rediculous, and probably due to that extensive MIDI chain you have.

Do you experience the same lag with using the Mesa Footswitch, or with a simple switch through the external triggers?

Dom

He's experiencing the same 140 ms lag with the G-System + Gizmo and when just using the Mesa footswitch direct. After posting last night, I searched about the issue but could only find it affecting the first-gen Rectifiers that had magnetic switches that would corrode or otherwise become dirty over time and slow down. Obviously the Mark series use a mechanical switch as well but I couldn't find any reports of afflicted Marks...

Use this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/midi-solutions-quadra-4-output-midi-thru-box I had issues with a long midi chain with lag and this fixed it.

I'm not sure the OP is still reading, but if he's experiencing the same 140 ms delay when going direct to the amp from the Mesa footswitch, then he has a more serious problem IMO... In case that was directed at my insane ~50 foot cable run, no lag problem here somehow ;)

I have the same or similar lag when switching channels. I also hear it when changing modes or power settings without changing channels. I believe it may be related to the reverb circuit as it seems to shut down when channel switching. I will have to try changing channels with the reverb off. I am using the footswitch only.

Latest posts

Back