Mark V 35 effects loop not working?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Reaction score
Just bought a used V35 the effects loop is not working. Any ideas? My Lonestar has a switch to activate the loop.

effects loop working now?
I had this amp plugged into a power strip with another amp and a pedal board with three pedals, on the one circuit in the basement without an LED light or dimmer switch. I unplugged everything and only have the V-35 plugged into the strip and now the effects loop works???
thoughts, ideas, answers?

I had this amp plugged into a power strip with another amp and a pedal board with three pedals, on the one circuit in the basement without an LED light or dimmer switch. I unplugged everything and only have the V-35 plugged into the strip and now the effects loop works???
Sounds like a Christmas Miracle!

Hope it stays working

Does it work with everything connected to how it was originally?

I haven't tried to hook it up as I originally had it. I plugged the pedal board into a wall outlet in the practice room and the power strip into an outlet in my mechanical room(10' away) that is on it's own circuit that has no LEDs. The prctice room has all LED lighting with dimmer switches(which will be going away)
I did notice when I had the two amps plugged into the power strip that one of the amps was picking up a very faint radio signal and a ground loop noise, but when plugged into a wall outlet the radio signal disappeared and most of the ground loop noise.
I spoke with a guitar tech at a local music store on Saturday who suggested I unplug everything and go from there and it started working instantly. The pedal board has a tuner and a ts9 into the front of the amp and a delay going through the effects loop.
I'll experiment with the way I had it originally and see if the same happens and post the results

I found the issue, well imho at any rate, I am just a crow magnum jamoke in most respects, so?!
I was using an Orange "The Amp Detonator" A - B box to run two amps and for whatever reason with it in my effects chain it cuts the effects loop "off" from both amps? It does have a "phase" button on it that had no effect.
When I ran my Lonestar Special and a Marshall DSL40C with The Amp Detonator both effects loops worked fine. Both of these amps have a bypass switch. My Mark V-35 does not have an effects loop bypass switch. Somehow this pedal prevents the effects loops from working? When it's not in the effect chain both amps effects loops work fine.
I do have a stereo chorus I'll try to hook up both amps with and see what happens, which just came to mind as I'm writing this. We'll see?

this video "FX Loop Theory: Where, When and Why to use them" randomly appeared on my youtube feed this morning. It answers a lot of question and brings up a few too.

My Lonestar Special's FX loop acts completely differantly than my MarkV - 35's FX loop?

I found the issue, well imho at any rate, I am just a crow magnum jamoke in most respects, so?!
I was using an Orange "The Amp Detonator" A - B box to run two amps and for whatever reason with it in my effects chain it cuts the effects loop "off" from both amps? It does have a "phase" button on it that had no effect.
When I ran my Lonestar Special and a Marshall DSL40C with The Amp Detonator both effects loops worked fine. Both of these amps have a bypass switch. My Mark V-35 does not have an effects loop bypass switch. Somehow this pedal prevents the effects loops from working? When it's not in the effect chain both amps effects loops work fine.
I do have a stereo chorus I'll try to hook up both amps with and see what happens, which just came to mind as I'm writing this. We'll see?
Are you using TRS or TS type jacks in your fx loop cables?

Are you using TRS or TS type jacks in your fx loop cables?
Thanks Eevil
I'm going to assume you meant "connectors" on my FX loop cables? Jacks are what cables are plugged into ...no? All my instrument cables have TS connectors. I'm using Mogami #2552 wire for my patch cables which does have two leads in addition to the ground with switchcraft #226 right angle and SFCable brand gold tipped straight mono instrument connectors.
Educate me on the differances between the two, please! I am totally ignorant about "TRS" connectors

I meant the cable ends 😁

TRS is tip-ring-sleeve type and TS is tip-sleeve.

Some amps have TRS terminals (jacks)? in the amps and the ring and sleeve are used to actually engage the loop. Hence the TRS cables would not activate the loop

Sorry about the terminology - English is not my native language

https://missionengineering.com/what-is-a-trs-cable/
it's all good, I understood what you were saying!
I'll have to get a hold of Mesa Boogie and ask them what they've used ? There is nothing mentioned in my owners manuals about such things .

I've fallen into a "Vertex" vortex it appears? here's another video about FX loops and delays, a lot of questions answered for me at any rate

My Lonestar Special's FX loop acts completely differantly than my MarkV - 35's FX loop?

I am just curious... in what way is it different? They are both series Fx loops, the LSS has a send level control vs the V:35 which is fixed. BTW, I have a LSS and a V:90 which has a send level control and use 4CM and find virtually no difference in basic functionality between the two.

Last edited:
I think it's the send level control on the Lonestar that make the differance? I can run multiple effects through my LSS whereas My V-35 is finicky, for lack of better verbage(works great/doesn't work great) or there is an issue with the amp(I did buy it used)? I only use my delay through the FX loop on my V-35 and nothing on my LSS. So after watching the last video I just posted, I will be experimenting ...again with front of amp or FX loop. If there is a differance, I'm not hearing it much, if at all???
way back when, in my bassman and twin reverb days, before FX loops, I ran everything through the front(obviously) and it was what it was.
I may have to look into my cordage a little more? They are getting older and may have given up the ghost.

I think it's the send level control on the Lonestar that make the differance? I can run multiple effects through my LSS whereas My V-35 is finicky, for lack of better verbage(works great/doesn't work great) or there is an issue with the amp(I did buy it used)? I only use my delay through the FX loop on my V-35 and nothing on my LSS. So after watching the last video I just posted, I will be experimenting ...again with front of amp or FX loop. If there is a differance, I'm not hearing it much, if at all???
way back when, in my bassman and twin reverb days, before FX loops, I ran everything through the front(obviously) and it was what it was.
I may have to look into my cordage a little more? They are getting older and may have given up the ghost.
Ahh ok. FWIW, my experience is that the signal levels to/from the Fx loop do make a difference and this also differs between amps. I have 4 Mesas and the send level on the V:90 is set differently then say my LSS or Stiletto to achieve the same response. My IIC+ has a fixed send level and adjustments in the pedals that are in the loop need to be tweaked. Experimentation is the best way to go when messing with it but IMHO the modulation based pedals are best in the loop.

Back