Mark IV Sounds

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yunker

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm new to the forum so be gentle with me !
I've always been a Marshall valve amp player but I fell in love with a Mark IV combo and took the plunge. Since then I've struggled to get a good live sound that I'm happy with. I've since added a 1x12 Boogie EV which has thickened out the sound but it's not the ecstatic sound I dreamed of. I know its a complex amp that needs patience but mine is wearing thin. Unless I find some **** hot settings I may have to - gasp ! - return to Marshalls.
So if any of you guys or gals can help me I'd really appreciate it. I know it's a good amp - but I need to get some serious results soon.
I mostly use a Gibson Explorer to play Billy Gibbons style blues rock.
Thanks in advance for any of you prepared to take the time to answer a musician in distress !!
Cheers
Yunker

There was a recent post about this in the Vintage Amp section of the forum. You're a marshall guy. You have a boogie. Your boogie will NOT sound like your marshalls did. If you have that tone in mind, forget about the mark iv and go get yourself another jcm/plexi/whatever makes you happy! Alternatively, save up a little coin, and buy a marshall to sit next to your mark iv. Then you'll have the best of both worlds. When you're sick of the boogie, you have that classic marshall sound to plug into, when you need a change, voila!

It is not a plug and play amp. It took me several months to get to know it well. Now, it's the greatest amp I've ever had. By the way, you should change the tubes to JJ's Hi-Gain Mark IV kit from Eurotubes.com.

4x12's make everything better.

Not enough headroom? Add a 4x12.
Not enough bottom end? Add a 4x12.
Not enough volume? Add a 4x12.
Want revenge on the wife? Buy a 4x12. (One with custom tolex...)
Wife refuses to sleep with you? Sell the 4x12 and buy her something swell.
Hate your neighbors? Keep the 4x12 and plug er in at 3 am.
Bad singer? Drown em out with the 4x12.

I mean really...it's got you convered. A worthwhile investment in my books.

Musicbox you forgot to add;

Tired hearing the wife nag you? Add a 4x12!!
Sick of hearing your mother-in-law crap on? Add a 4x12!

Hey, don't kid yourself. 4x12's are great and all, but in-laws are another story. We're talking full stack, maybe 2 to get the job done...

Oh ya, back to the main purpose of the thread. Don't forget to check out the amp settings database. I'm not sure how much stuff there is on the Markiv, but i'm sure you'll find some ideas. Also, try turning it up. Way up. If you're getting closer, but it's way to loud, get some 6v6 to get that hotness at a better level.

Latest posts

Back