Mark IV- Do you pull the presence?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrik

Reaction score
I do, I find it sounds a million times better, and having it pushed in makes it sound very harsh to me on the lead channel. However, I've noticed that most people don't... Do you?

RHY2 and LEAD always pulled, it's a million times better this way, the sound is very smooth and warm !

Listen to Antoine, his tone is like butta !!!!!

I use it pulled for most applications, but when I want the agressive Petrucci type tone I push it in. For lead, the pull funtion looses the sweetness and adds bottom end and agression more suited for heavy chording.

Many thanks for the comment Boogiebabies.
With the Presence knobs pushed in, i find the sound to be less "Mark series", a little too agressive for my taste, it looses all the smoothness and becomes harsh !

Antoine said:
RHY2 and LEAD always pulled, it's a million times better this way, the sound is very smooth and warm !

That's how I've been running it. Sounds harsh and trebly with r2 and lead pushed.

with the mark III can you get close to petruccis older tones, like his days with his marks??? can anyone share some settings with me!

I usually push it in if I am rhythm riffing but for the most part it stays pulled.

Antoine,
Please post your Mark-IV settings....

Guys i'm hitting a frustrating point again....
I have had my Mark IV combo (early 90's)for Almost 5 years now, and STILL haven't nailed my tone settings.

Perhaps it's the EV, instead of a Celestion...
Perhaps I'm just too lazy, etc...

Anyway, i have been considering purchasing a TremOVerb, and selling my Mark IV...
Gimme reasons not to do so!!!!!!

radmo

rectifier vs mark

with the rectifier you can hit more modern day tones

mark IV can hit more modern day tones as well and hit off the old school **** even better, stick with the mark !!! don't be stupid XD

I will gladly send my settings by E-mail to anyone who wants (it's a Word file)
but know that settings on amps are not the only way to a good tone, settings depend a lot of the pickups used, the wood the guitar is made of, the strings gauge used, and an important part of the tone is the cab and especialy the speaker, settings on an amp depend of all this !
About speakers, i want to tell that i found the Celestions Vintage 30's to be the perfect speaker for the MarkIV (but only the Celestions V30's mounted on the Recto Cabs by Mesa, they are specially build by Celestion for Mesa Boogie, and they are different from the Celestions V 30's you can buy.. different technicals production methodes and different materials used)
I do a lot of studio sessions and don't like at all the MarkIV through a EV speaker.
Some years ago, for a special session, i wanted to use the 1X12 Mesa cab closed back mounted with the EV 200 watts speaker , i found the tones to be too rigid and a little too Hi-Fi sounding, no matter the settings on the amp, it lacked this typical sizzle and smoothness of the Celestions.
After all the takes done, i 've talked to the producer and told him i wasen't satisfied with the sound of the guitar, i told him to forget my recordings and to redoing them with an another cab !
One day later i brought my 2x12 Recto cab and all was perfect, i was able to do my favorite settings and i heard the amp really shines through the Celestions, it was suddenly magic, the sound was like heaven !
This anedocte to tell that my settings are efficient if you use the same gear than me : Music Man guitars and mainly my American Deluxe H/S/S Fender Stratocaster, plus the 2x12 Recto cab.
To confirm what i say, know that to each guitar i have, i've got differents settings on the amp !
Don't sell your MarkIV, it's a killer tones machine, simply one of the best amp i've ever played !

I have mine pushed in. I think my tone is very smooth. To me the amp sounds bigger with them pushed in. Here are some clips. The top three on the page are all Mark IV. I think I strike a good balance of smooth and yet edgy... ?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=595614[/url]

I have it pulled on some settings and pushed on others. Not very helpful, huh? I think the greatness of the Mark IV is only realized if you are willing to twist the knobs. It is possible for me to find 3 really good settings on channels 1, 2, and 3 and leave them there but what fun is that?

The guitar also makes a big difference on whether or not I have any knob pushed or pulled.

Back