Mark IV crackling and fading out? Please help.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottieL

Reaction score
Hey guys. Haven't been on here in a while.

Anyway, I've owned a Mark IVa short combo for about 4 years now and it hasn't given me any trouble until now. A couple of days ago it's started to sound kind of muddy and generally worse and after about 45 minutes of playing it started to crackle intermittently and then start to fade out in volume and distort. I left it for a couple of days and tried again, same story. It is loaded with standard mesa 6l6's, 12ax7's (SpAX7's), and a 12AT7. It was made in 1990 and has the original caps and speaker. I have a Boss ME-50 and a DD-7 in the normal loop, and a TC fireworX in the switchable for trippier stuff.

What do you guys think? Tubes or caps maybe?

Also, I'm in the process of launching my first business, which centres around a new tremolo stabilizer that I have designed that blows the competition out of the water, in ease of install, ease of use, function, and price (half not counting the tech bill you save). Do you think ned and the mods would have a problem with me talking about (not spamming, and not pushing) it in the off topic section?

Thanks

V1 preamp tube is usually the culprit in that (crackling noises).

Back