Mark IIB Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mefgames

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mark IIB 60 watt with EQ and reverb. I am having a few issues with the amp. I guess that has to be expected for a 25 year old amp. The first is the reverb starts to kind of whine at higher levels, and does not stop until you turn it all the way off. I was told by a Mesa tech it could be a microphonic tube. I replaced all the tubes with a set of JJ's from Eurotubes. Problem still exists. I also bought an EVM - 12L to replace the current non original speaker, and started to notice a buzzing or rattle like sound on midrange notes. I changed back to the old speaker, and hear with that one as well. I read here it could be the pull lead or pull bright switch. I cleaned them all with de-ox cleaner, no change. Last but not least, I cannot get a heavy distortion sound like my F-30. I thought the old Mark series amps could get virtually any sound you want. Anyone have any constructive solutions ? I'm thinking maybe I should just take it directly to Mesa, I live close to Petaluma. Any ideas on what they charge for a service?

Thanks in advance
mefgames

mefgames said:
I recently purchased a Mark IIB 60 watt with EQ and reverb. I am having a few issues with the amp. I guess that has to be expected for a 25 year old amp. The first is the reverb starts to kind of whine at higher levels, and does not stop until you turn it all the way off. I was told by a Mesa tech it could be a microphonic tube. I replaced all the tubes with a set of JJ's from Eurotubes. Problem still exists. I also bought an EVM - 12L to replace the current non original speaker, and started to notice a buzzing or rattle like sound on midrange notes. I changed back to the old speaker, and hear with that one as well. I read here it could be the pull lead or pull bright switch. I cleaned them all with de-ox cleaner, no change. Last but not least, I cannot get a heavy distortion sound like my F-30. I thought the old Mark series amps could get virtually any sound you want. Anyone have any constructive solutions ? I'm thinking maybe I should just take it directly to Mesa, I live close to Petaluma. Any ideas on what they charge for a service?

I think its $100 per hour . I bet it would be fixed in an hour or possibly two . Mike bendinelli is your man .

Thanks in advance
mefgames

Take it to the amp tech for sure. It might cost you though, but i don't think the mark series can get you super heavy tones , becasue newer techonogloy, rectifiers etc...but the sound the mark series gives you is a great tone itself.. ask for some settings

If you want ridiculously heavy tones, it helps to have a reasonably high output guitar (like a Les Paul or something). But, for uber-metal, do the standard V-shape on the graphic EQ, but don't completely drop-out the mid-slider. Cut ALL the reverb out. On the knobs - volume 1 somewhere from 7-10, bass between one/two, treble around 7, mids around 6, lead drive 9/10, master volume to taste. Bring the presence up to around 7 or so and tinker around that point to find where the sweet spot is for you. Pull shift, both brights, (make sure you're on the lead channel), don't pull the gain boost - that just makes the sound muddy when you're using high gain tones. Try something like this and see what happens.

The Mark 2C would offer more gain but the Mark 2B should have enough nuts to get you into metal saturation

Sell the amp away or spend the money to get it tuned up. But don't continue to use it for any long period of time if it has tell tale symptoms of aged and components

First on the Reverb, Pull it up from the bottom of the amp and make sure it's loose sometimes they get stuck and start to whine about it.
The buzzing could be a variety of issues as could the lack of distortion.
This leads me to suggest taking it to the man himself Mike B. You say your close so there's no reason to not have the Mike B. look at it. Might as well have a cap job and if you choose the the Effect loop upgrade. I've been told the effects loop upgrade brings the lead channel close to a Mark IIC+. I know they charged $250.00 money order made out to Mike B. for effect loop upgrade. I just ordered caps for my IIB and that was $40.00 some bucks.

Consider yourself lucky, there are players that send their Boogies from far corners of the world to have Mike B. look at their guts.

In the end you get one of the sweetest Boogies ever made, in like new playing condition.

Latest posts

Back