Lonestar tube recomendation ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misternice8

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a Lonestar 2x12 , with 6l6's in it at the moment, thinking about swithcing over to el34's , any ideas on some good tubes, Ive already got a fender blackface super would realy like to get the lonestar to sound a bit like a marshall.

I played a Z amp that had EL84 in it sounded awsome, is it possible to get a THD adaptor and put them in the lonestar in place of el34's,

has anyone tried anything like this, I have a feeling this amp can do almost anything in the relm of tube tone, plus im just dying to flick that 6l6 to el34 switch, does it really bias it self or do i need to purchase tubes in a certain range.

thanks

Check out Dougs Tubes for replacement. I'm planning on getting some Sed -C- EL34 tubes for mines.

I thought the JJ 6l6's were just hyped up, but I love the full retube that I did.

It really seemed to open up the amp. The second channel is MUCH improved.

If you love the cleans of your Lonestar don't put JJ's in this amp. I would highly recommend the GT 6L6GE's #7's and a GT 12AX7-M in V1. The rest of the Preamp tubes use GT 12AX7-R's.

I put in JJ 6l6's and the pre-amps too, and I think it defenitly improved the sound over the stock Mesa tubes. No more low end farting after JJ's. I recently stuck in a set of JJ EL34's, and I really like the "sparkle" of thiese bottles. I also like CH2 OD better, and it especially cooks with a Les Paul with HB's. No need for extra OD pedals with this amp. Too bad its a heavy beast to load in, or I would use it at every gig.

I don't understand why so many of you guys seem to be trying to get the Lonestar to sound like a Marshall.

Is that the secret goal of every drive pedal and every retube I read about, to get the bloody thing to sound like a Marshall?

If that's the goal, just cave in, go get a Marshall, and sign up for the Marshall board! Be done with it already, and don't spend your career doing this routine like so many seem to do. . .

I thwaya, I just can't take it anymore . . .
:)

For what it's worth I like my Lone Star just the way it is although I do plan to try out some EL34 tubes so that my Lone Star will sound like a EL34 Mesa amp. I had Marshall amps many moons ago and I left Marshall for the Boogie because I couldn't get the Marshall to sound like a Boogie :lol:

medwards1969 said:
I don't understand why so many of you guys seem to be trying to get the Lonestar to sound like a Marshall.

Is that the secret goal of every drive pedal and every retube I read about, to get the bloody thing to sound like a Marshall?

If that's the goal, just cave in, go get a Marshall, and sign up for the Marshall board! Be done with it already, and don't spend your career doing this routine like so many seem to do. . .

I thwaya, I just can't take it anymore . . .
:)

I like my LCC better with 34s and I do not want a Marshall. I can get the same sweet shimmery cleans with just a touch more mid sparkle and less low end hump than the 6L6s. At some point I'll try 6v6s but right now I've got the best sounding amp for my needs period. The best cleans of any current production amp I've heard and a dirty channel that can get you Allman brothers to SRV crunch.

BTW, the only Marshall amps I've cared for are the 18 watter and JTM 45 Bluesbreaker. And yeah the LCC can cop a bit of the JTM tone but the clean channel is far superior. Not to metnion the amp as a whole is far more versatile. Would you make the same argument and say LCS users are trying to get a Vox tone? Maybe you with the 6L6s are trying to get a nice Fender thing going on Why not just buy a Fender already.. I mean no offense but your argument does not make sense.

I tried swapping out the 6L6's with EL34's. I didn't really like it that much.
Seemed to get too dirty too fast, and lose some tightness on the bottom.
I reinstalled the original tubes and now I know better. If I want an EL34
vibe, I'll turn on my '69 Hiwatt DR103.
Note: If you swap out the tubes, you are supposed to buy them from
Mesa, as they are already within the range of their bias setting on the amp.
I suppose others may have more specific info.

Doug and Bob will see that you get the correct tubes for your amp. You don't have to just use Mesa tubes.

Latest posts

Back