Lonestar Reverb -- External Rack Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njm137

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a Yamaha Rev500 reverb rack unit. I was wondering if it would be safe to insert that in place of the spring tank for my Lonestar classic. I'd rather keep it out of the FX loop for reasons that are long and rambling.
The Rev500 has 1/4" inputs and outputs which I'd have to adapt to RCA connectors.

Is this safe, or do you think that I could damage the lonestar by doing this?
Thanks!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but-
Under no circumstances connect your effect unit into the reverb tank in/out section, - it's valve(oops,'tube' to our US pals!) driven and is not an effect loop. - Can't see it damaging the amp but I wouldnt be at all surprised if it fries your effect unit beyond all hope of repair!

Elaborate on why you don't want to put it in the effects loop - after all, thats what it's there for! :D

The FX Loop is also 'tube driven'.
If you look at the schematic, the Reverb circuit is basically an FX loop with an extra transformer in it. But the reverb circuit is designed to take a 'taste' of your tone, process it, and mix it back in.
Anyways, the reason I want this unit in the Reverb loop rather than the FX loop is because:
1) It's a tone sucker
2) Because I'm using this pedal for crazy ambient creations, I want the ability to switch it in and out with a foot pedal (aka the lonestar's reverb footswitch jack). Not sure why mesa thought it would be more useful to switch out the reverb and NOT the FX loop.

Yes, I see why you want it in the reverb side now so it doesn't affect your main tone.- you're after using it as a parallel fx loop.
I agree it is a bit of a bind not to have the fx loop switchable.

I'm a bit rusty on my electronics nowadays, but is the signal sent to the reverb spring not a fair bit different in level to the normal audio path signal, the transformer is there to drive the spring, from what I remember. This may or may not be a problem- Especially if you only want to make weird noises with it!

-Not being a lot of help here am I? But didn't want you to damage anything!

Ham,
Maybe it'd be best if i took an Oscope home and see how the level compares going INTO the reverb as compared to the SEND of FX loop. That'd prob be the only way to truly quantify it right??

jjboogie....nothing, i love it...but it doesn't do modulated cavernous warble trails....hehehe ;)

njm137 said:
Ham,

jjboogie....nothing, i love it...but it doesn't do modulated cavernous warble trails....hehehe ;)

Ha ha right on!

Actually you may have just created a new band name!

The Modulated Cavernous Warble Trails coming to an arena near you!!!

Yes, get a meter or oscilloscope on it, unfortunately my 'scope is broken at the moment or I'd have checked the levels on my amp for you.
Bah, I'm in the daft position of needing an oscilloscope.....to mend my oscilloscope! :oops:

Latest posts

Back