Lonestar advice...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpage

Reaction score
Newbie...cool board!

Thinking of getting myself a Lonestar classic and had a few questions:

How much "gain" is on tap? I play SRV, ABB, Warren Haynes, Gary Moore, Jimi, AC/DC, Led Zep, VH and GnR and I'd like an amp that can handle all that. What I've found is that I ask for note definition and "grind" in a "gain" channel and not as much preamp "buzz" as most (younger, mostly) people use. And I think most people think that the aforementioned bands used alot more gain than they did. Anyhow, any thoughts?

Anyone throw el34s in this puppy? I think I read that it is possible to plug & play between the two and was wondering if anyone had any comparisons...

It will definately handle the bands you mentioned. You might want to try the Special since it has built in attenuation. Putting 34's in the standard will yield more top end, less headroom, and more crunch.

Agreed about people thinking those bands used alot of gain. More of the classic marshall overdriven tone. Just driving those EL34 and KT66 based heads into crunchy sonic heaven with the ocassional booster pedal rather than say a distortion. I also have the LSS, which I am real happy with, but tried the LS classic and I think you get a nice balance of great cleans with the ability to achieve a thick overdriven tone especially when switching to the EL34's. You should definately try both, that classic will get loud with 50/100 watts v. the special's 5/15/30 where its easier to drive the power tubes into a nice overdrive at lower volumes.

i bought a lonestar special last week and it is plenty loud with lots of overdrive. very pleased with it

Sorry about the cross post from thegearpage, looks like we have some common responses. Thanks for the advice--bought one at lunch today. I dialed in some pretty sweet crunch tones that, combined with a screamer, should fit the bill. Looking forward to putting this beast through a workout tonight. I'll post my observations later.

Back