Little Recto's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't played it, but the Lone Star can be reduced to 5 watts it seems.

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/LonestarSpecial.htm

whoops. :oops:

I thought the LSS had a high gain setting. But, obviously, I'm no expert.

No probs...the LSS has its own type of overdrive....VERY nice, but a little different than the Rectifier line. I actually like the LSS and especially the LSC, but wouldn't count on it giving me my tones for the High Gain stuff.
I will say though, at low volumes, all bets are off and the Lonestar may actually work.

db said:
whoops. :oops:

I thought the LSS had a high gain setting. But, obviously, I'm no expert.

The F-30 is a GREAT little amp....and I agree with Ned, the gain is probably the closest to the Recto without being one. Although I will say that my Rectoverb combo sounds fine at low volumes.

ned said:
The F-30 is probably the closest at low wattage.

boogie doesnt bother making low wattage amps with crazy features because average joe guitarist doesnt want to spend $1000+ for an amp that doesnt have more than 15 watts. it won't sell, so it won't be created. leave that for the low volume boutique guys who can afford to charge $4000 for some sort of mildly modified fender clone that has "the" tone.

rant over.

anyway, dc-2, f-30, studio are your best bet.

You're describing a Rect-o-verb. You would be the happiest with the head and a closed back cabinet. For hobbyists, you only need a 1x12, and it's still more than enough for live gigs. Any power soak would drop it down to 20 watts or so.

I think that a used Rectoverb and a Hot Plate would be a good option. I mentioned it on another thread that it would be cool if Mesa had a switchable Recto type amp with a 5/15/30 or something of the like, that would allow for quieter practice, and yet, still be able to run a full volume for performing.

the 18 watt marshall is a misnomer. It is actually 45 watts, and super loud.

My opinion is that you get a rect-o-verb combo. You will love that thing. It will be quiet enough to play at home, not after the youngins go to bed; but it will also be loud enough for gigs.
Also the recto rack pre, with a mesa 30:30 will work too, recto tone is from the pre amp, more than the power amp.

I usually just pull 2 of the power tubes and run on spongy with my Dual at the house and in practice. Actually play smaller shows that way too. I figure that is maybe the equivalent of 40 - 50 watts?

Less headroom, but better breakup whne you can't crank it as much.

Back