Line Level vs. Instrument level in Mark V FX loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner

Reaction score
I have had clipping issues with my Boss delay and chorus pedals in the V's loop. When talking with Mesa I recall that they said the loop was designed more for line level effects vs. instrument level. I've already tried to cure the problem with the Boss pedals (see other threads I've started or participated in) and so now I'm moving on to something other than Boss. I don't play out often with this amp so I can't justify spending a ton. I noticed the Eventide Timefactor, although outside of my budget for now, has a line-level/instrument level switch. Should I be looking for a switch like this? Should I look at rack mount FX? Are the TC Nova Delays line-level? THX.

I run an MXR stereo chorus, TC Electronic Nova Delay, and TC Electronic Nova Reverb, with no issues whatsoever. Other people around here have had problems with Boss stuff as well.

Gunner said:
... has a line-level/instrument level switch. Should I be looking for a switch like this? Should I look at rack mount FX? Are the TC Nova Delays line-level? THX.
some have a -10db / +4db (some 0db?) switch. that would pretty much be the same thing

I run all my boss fx through the front end. Always. even before I got a V. I run a diditech 155 through the fx loop just for a little delay. would like to get a nova though. the stomp box type fx from boss are generally made to run that way. thats why they say on them guitar in /amp out. some of the others like a multifx unit can be run through the loop. my didgi has a switch on it for amp or mixer. I use the mixer patch for the loop. As far as running through the front end of the V I have had to adjust my pedals accordingly. The boss chorus sounded terrible the first time I tried it with the V but sounded fine with my Fender. When I listened closely it just sounded like to much fx .So i just turned down the depth knob to 10:00 and there it was....lush clean ..... Remember the V is a very high quality amp. It can reproduce Tones that the Fender can only dream of. So we have to learn how to use fx all over again with this amp. :mrgreen:

After some research the Nova Repeater for the money looks like a good choice for me. It has a guitar and loop input. It does not have true bypass. Does True Bypass matter as much when the effect is in the loop as it does when it's in line with the guitar and amp?

Gunner said:
After some research the Nova Repeater for the money looks like a good choice for me. It has a guitar and loop input. It does not have true bypass. Does True Bypass matter as much when the effect is in the loop as it does when it's in line with the guitar and amp?

True bypass in a delay prevents it from being able to trail off naturally.

Gunner said:

I turn my loop on and off, but keep the effects on in the loop at all times. So, for me, it doesn't matter whether they are true bypass.

I don't notice any difference in tone quality with the TC Electronic Nova stuff in the signal chain anyways.

I have the same problem and its just the boss pedals... upgrade to tc electronics nova delay and its all sweet now...

Latest posts

Back