Jeff Beck

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
I can't believe he's gone. He was well and beyond my favorite. I first heard him in the late 70's. I was still in grammar school. Heard Wired. I was just starting to play guitar and after hearing that, I was like, THAT'S IT!!!
Sorry, but no one could match him. His phrasings and his approach to scales was beyond the normal pentatonic patterns.
I'm completely bummed over this news.
I was at least lucky to see him MANY times over the years. On his own and with others like SRV, Buddy Guy, Clapton and Santana just to name a few.
Those first two albums (Truth and Beck-ola) had me hooked as well. GREAT late 60's blues rock.

Rest in Peace my man, thanks for all that music and ideas.

I was fortunate to see him in concert several times. I think the best show I attended was in a small theater that seats approx 1800 about 15 years ago. He had a simple pedal array, just a couple of pedals-one being a wah. And I noticed something attached to the wah that kept catching my attention. When he eventually used the wah I was a bit amazed at the simplicity of the mod. It was a small square of sheet metal...looked like aluminum , cut to the width of the pedal, attached to the front rim of the foot pad with a couple of screws, that lowered down to the floor when he pressed the wah, and stopped the downward travel of the pedal. He and his tech had fabricated a 'governor' of sorts that limited the travel of the foot pad so it cocked the tone exactly to the point he wanted. And, of course, it sounded great. I wondered how he turned the wah on with that but assumed it had the auto-on switch like my Dunlop wah has. Just touch it with the foot and it's on. Remove the foot and it's off.

Sadly, his illness might have been something he ate or acquired via contagion. bacterial meningitis is often contracted via e-coli too. but what a freaking shame.
RIP

Last edited:
Indeed, rest in peace Jeff Beck.

I only saw him play once in Sydney and it was a great experience. With the first chord you knew who was playing. The sign of a great player.

I too first heard Beck when I was in my teens and it seemed that he had discovered notes on the guitar which other people didn’t know existed. Jeff Beck could get more out of the guitar than his contemporaries.

Regards

Mark

My God, only three posts on such a great player?

I guess we can consider ourselves to have the ability to recognise greatness.

Regards

Mark

The first time a saw and heard Jeff Beck was with The Yardbirds at the Alexandria, Virginia Roller Rink, December 23, 1965. I was 15. Then with Stevie Ray Vaughan(In Step Tour) at the long gone, but not forgotten, Capital Center, in Landover, Maryland, November 6th, 1989. They both filled the entire arena with incredible tones at undistorted high volume. Awesome. Then with ZZ Top(Beards and Beck Tour) at Cedar Park, Texas, April 30, 2015. Ten rows back, dead center. Incredible. That tour was recorded and released as 'Live+'. A great set of music with Jimmy Hall singing. Final time was September 21, 2019 at the Paramount Theater, in Austin, Texas. 54 years from first to last. Long Live Jeff Beck~!!!

The second time I saw Jeff Beck was with Carlos Santana in 1995 in Raleigh. Jeff opened the show. I had a Jeff Beck Stratocaster at the time (wish I still had it) and he came out with his talc powder right hand and absolutely killed it for over an hour. He played one guitar the whole show, even beat the tail end of the strat on the stage at one point. Never saw him tune the thing. If I could have a video of one concert I saw this would be the one. Incredible.
Jeff Beck - Guitar
Pino Paladino - Bass
Tony Hymas - Keyboards
Terry Bozzio - Drums

Unfortunately never saw him live. I remember buying vinyl copies of Blow by Blow and Wired back in high school ; amazing stuff.

Saw him with Jan Hammer in 1977. He was always a stellar player. I was blown away by Jeff's Boogie in the late 60's, later realizing how much Les Paul's influence was in that.
To me, he really took it up a notch when he started "singing" through the guitar, covering tunes like Somewhere Over The Rainbow and Nessun Dorma.
So much emotion.

I saw JB 3 times, first time was with SRV in 1988. Then I saw him at the Chicago theater twice. Probably about 2007 and then 2012. One of my favorite guitar players.

Saw Jeff Beck several times, including the Wired tour at Capital Center in MD. Jan Hammer. Huge sound. Just great. Almost wore out my cartridge needle on Blow by Blow and Wired, alone. But man, he opened for Jefferson Starship of all bands. Whose idea was that? We left 3 songs into Starship.

Back