Jazz through MK4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jukesgtr

Reaction score
I learned some time ago that there are several guys in the forum who play hollowbody jazz boxes with Mesa Boogies, good!

I have a MK4 combo and would like to know which humbucker PUs the amp takes the best. I have a few low cost oriental hollow body guitars that may need new pickups and and am thinking of Gibson '57 Classic (expensive for me) vs. DiMarzio PAF Classic (more reasonable). Have you played these or even compared them on MK4? Any other options I should consider?

tks again.

PS: Meant to include also that I would like to get really smooth and harmonic classic jazz tone from my equipment, similar to Joe Pass etc..have flatwouds already on my gtrs (D'addario Chromes and Webstrings New York Jazz)

Elpelotero said:
the bb king guitar uses gibson 498 and 490 i believe. very smooth tones.

Tks but I have read that most of the players changing to these use Les Pauls and SGs. They must be good PUs in solidbodies but my application for the new PUs is strictly in hollowbodies for jazz. On the other hand if you have comments from hollowbody players using them successfully I am more than interested in knowing!!

57 Classics are wonderful sounding, but they really are like having a microphone under your strings. They should be decent for Jazz, but when overdriven they sqeal more than Ned Beatty in Deliverance. Johhny A. is using them in his Gibson as well as Larry Carlton and Pat Martino. Now you cant tell me ole Pat does not make you sick? I want to quit when I hear him. Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel and Wes Montgomery make me want to end it all. I am thinking about Fralins in a 10K neck and 8.5K bridge wound to reduce the bottom end for my 1998 58' LP Historic Flame Top. I would say they should be all that without the sqeal.

I have to agree that the Gibson pickups are a bit hyperactive. (Mine are PAT NO 2737842, Supposedly an older equivalent to the current '57 Classics, according to the folks at Gibson.) I was going to go with DiMarzios (based upon Morse's sounds, but have since planned on some zebra (or gold covered) Fralins. No experience with them, but all the feedback that I've read raves about them. And I like the hand-wound nature of them -- like the original PAFs.

Fralin pickups and CTS pots (in hand) will complete the rebuild of my main squeeze, a semi-hollowbody Howard Roberts.

Cheers,
Kirk
http://users.adelphia.net/~k2a/

I use a Heritage 535 semi-hollow body which came with Schaller p/up's. I had them changed to a matched set of Seymour Duncan 59's, wow what a huge improvement, I really like these p/up's. Through my Mark IV, in fact through all my amps, they have a very smooth, clear, and well balanced tone.

I don't think there are any better humbuckers out there than the WCR Lineup.

http://www.crcoils.com/index.html

I have a 2003 LP R7 Brazilian that just sat in it's case for months on end. My son would take it out on occassion but it was just a dead lifeless guitar. It had Burskbucker 1 & 2's in it.

After hearing so much about the Fillmore Pups I thought "What the Hell lets give it a try".

THE GUITAR CAME TO LIFE. Just nails the D. Allman tone. I suggest you call Jim Wagner and describe what tone you are looking for and he will fix you up. Almost all of us on the Axehouse forum are using his Pups.

Several BIG NAME artists using his product too.

brianf

Hey guys -- thanks for your replies! I will look at all the PUs you mention above, great to have that many choices that may work well in my application(s).
J

Latest posts

Back