IIC+ to simulclass or not?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancullinane

Reaction score
Came across a nice IIC+ in hardwood locally. :D I like the sound but wondering if I buy it would it be worth having mesa convert it to a simluclass amp. It already has, reverb, equalization and th 100/60 switch. I believe it also has the 105 transformer.

Would any of you send it in to be converted. I almost hate to do it since I am happy with the sound. Part of me probably will always long for the fully optioned IIC+. Anyone know what the charge would be? Any downside?

Thanks
DC

Hi,

I think I would not do it, especially if I would be satisfied with the sound, as it seems to be in your case.
As you know, things have mostly two sides and often one's "must have feel " is bigger as the real advantage of a thing, after having it :)

regards

The basic model was 60 watts, no eq, no reverb. You already have the hardwood cab, eq, verb, and the 100 watt power option. That's a very cool amp as it is. You should try to find a simul-class Boogie to try out before you make the decision to mod your IIC+. You probably won't find a IIC+ simul to check out but a MK III, or even a MK IV will give you the idea of what simu-class sounds like. You might like it better, but you may find you like what you have better. Take your time.

I wish Monsta-Tone would answer

But wouldn't going from your Standard Class A/B to Simul Class is major work? Doesn't the output transformer need to changed, then the output tube sockets needs to be rewired etc ...?

I'm no repair amp guru nor did I read any post (if there is) on this bulliten board of modifying a Standard class A/B to Simul-Class but I'm just guessing it not your average modification but some major work.

Someone clear me up on this?

Yes it is a major mod. If you can do all the work yourself it wouldn't be a big deal to try it and see if you like it. If your going to pay to have it done I would try to be as certain as possible that you're going to like it before having it done.
I like simul-class best myself. But not everyone does.
Another thing you can mess around with is mismatching the impedence of your amp. I assume it's a combo. Plug the 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm speaker jack. It will make the amp sound a little darker, and smoother. That will hint at what simul-class does. I'm not saying that it will sound just like a simul-class amp it won't. But it will have a bit of that flavor. If you like the mismatched sound then you might like simul-class just fine.

I appreciate the responses. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one. Way too hard to pass up. For now I will likely keep it as is. It's already pretty well optioned up. Part of me will likley always want ALL OPTIONS, but will try to hold off. there are a few Mk II's around, I'll see if any are Simulclass and check it out. I do like the lead tone on the IIC+ much better than on my Mk III (black stripe, 60 watter, no verb, no EQ. The Yugo of the Boogie line)

Thanks Guys
DC :D

Latest posts

Back