i want to sound like this

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found an amp once that delivered a ballsy "cranked Fender" tone, and was quite affordable..
Peavey Delta Blues..
Pretty lively tone, thick, cutting... Still no Super Reverb, but really nice...
Maybe $350 used on ebay.
ax. 8)

I toured with the Deluxe for 2 years and never packed spare tubes (I was naive back then) and never had a problem. They are the most reliable amps ever. I sold it cause I'm 44 and always wanted a Boogie MK series lead sound... I wanted it the first time I tried one in 1984. I wish I'd bought one then...they were brand new MKIIC+ 's but they were about $2200 Canadian then!!!!!! So I bought the Deluxe for $200. So I guess it was still a good investment cause it allowed me to eventually buy my MKIV. However if I could go back in time I would have bought the MKIIC+ I kick myself now and then! LOL

The Allen kits are definitely high quality, so are the Mojo kits.

If budget is a consideration, the Weber kits are the way to go. They don't have tech support, but they do have a forum where guys discuss the problems that they are having.

If aesthetics are an issue, they all pretty much look like the originals. I like the Mojo because a Deluxe Reverb faceplate will fit, but their chassis is grey, like the later Silverface chassis. I like shiny chrome.

Well I'd like to buy one of the least expensive kits, just to see how it goes. I don't really think the customer support will be an issue. I know quite a bit about electronics, and my friends dad has been an audio engineer for longer then i've been alive. It looks like i'll go with weber for my first one.

zeppman, I say go for it if you have that much facility and technical support.

I just have one semester of college electronic and here at work I could have the technician look at (he has the facility of o'scope), or my brother who has an associate arts degree in electronics (but not the facility at home).

I'm just saying that above paragraph if your kit doesn't work. If you do everything carefully, all components working, you should not have any problems.

The diagrams are explicit well writtten out (well the Allen Kits) practically "paint by number", solder by components.

But most of all take precautionary measure so you don't electrocute yourself.

Monsta-Tone : but I heard Weber Kit uses Far East import transformers?

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I put back the el34s in the outer socket, cranked the master volume to about 8. I had the individual volumes very low though, and turned the gain knobs slightly lower then what they usually are at. I put a tube screamer infront of it and got a whole new world of tones. Not the same as the guitar player from that clip, but a lot closer (at least to me) to a bluesy touch sensitive tone.

Similar to what I do with my mark III..
Class A, EL34, Master really loud(8), low volume 1 (4)
Lead channel volumelow, drive at 4...
Just plain cooking the El34's. Still not there, but ok...My clean channel is more sparkly and Fenderish, so with this type setting on the clean channel, I have to push with the TS9, and it works great too.
Still plan on a Super Reverb though..I'm really wanting a combo that I can grab and go, and even at 63 lbs. and somewhat large, it'll be easier than the Boogie, and closer to my tone.I don't want a museum piece... That's why I think a '68 to '70 silverface, and have it blackfaced.
Gotta love that reverb of the fenders . The only thing I'll miss is the E-loop, which is available on the re-issues, and they go pretty cheap too, so that's always an option.But the lead dress on the early silverfaces is much better....
ax. 8)

Hey, I know I'm a new guy around here, but I can help you with this... I know the dude, Joel. They're a local house band around here, and a **** good tight blues band. My wife even works with the band manager.

Your hearing classic Strat and overdriven Fender blackface tone, vintage Super Reverb, and cranked. It's 6L6 all the way, and 40 watts. 4x10 Jensen type sounding speakers are a must. I should know, I play the same thing with a Fulltone Fulldrive II up front.

I don't see why a Mk clean channel turned up won't get you close. I have a IIC+ and I think it sounds pretty good. One problem you may have to overcome though is the speaker. The SR has much lower power-tolerant speakers and they "break up" as well as the tubes saturating. My IIC+ has the EVM-12L, and it doesn't break at all...

As far as a Deluxe Reverb, nope, unless 6V6's sound like 6L6's to you. I have one of those also, and although a great sounding amp, it doesn't have that sparkle that you think of at the high end. However, it may be good enough to get you in the ballpark.

Try an external speaker cab and an OD pedal and see what you get.

Oh yeah one more thing. If you go the Princeton route, you must have the Princeton Reverb. The regular Princetons fall short due to the fact that they are missing a gain stage added by the reverb circuitry...

I was thinking the other day, but I could be completely wrong here...

After installing el34's back in the outer positions of my mark iv, I realized how much I liked the tone over straight 6l6s. I thought, "I wonder if mesa did this to be able to get close to that tone of an old fender pushed to power tube saturation." After all, the mark series started out as hot-rodded fenders, right? So mesa did this to get a clean tone, and a distorted tone at any volume? The more I think about it, it seems like a good idea to run el34s hot to get a good overdrive tone, and mix it with the 6l6s run at a cooler bias... I don't know if this is making sense, but whatever, just taking a little break here at work and figured I'd throw my thoughts out there. I still would like to try a tubescreamer into the clean channel with the master volume cranked.

Latest posts

Back