How to get a nice lead tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I have always been a plug and play guy so never really learned how to use effects properly. I am looking to get a nice lead tone. I have a Roadster and a Boss DD-20. I've been messing around with the DD-20 but can't find a setting I really like. I know it's not the unit, its me, lol. I searched the DD-20 thread but mopst of those are U2 and Floyd type of settings. Any suggestions on how to set it?.... delay time, type, dotted eight notes triplets, etc... I'm just looking for a good basic tone. I'm not trying to sound like Edge or Gilmour.
Also, do you use reverb for lead tones? Any recommendations for a good pedal that doesn't cost $200?
I appreciate any help.

Try the analog mode, quarter notes, somewhere between 250 and 400 ms with about 2-4 repeats (low feedback setting), tone to preference (I like the tone knob under noon on the dd-20, so the repeats are somewhat dark and full, not bright) and e.level low enough that the repeats are really only heard between the notes being played and adding ambiance.

I'll try it, thanks. On the back of the amp, I have the f/x loop level at noon, is that sufficient?

i usually end up around 375ms, 1-3 repeats with the level kind of low so the repeats aren't too loud. Fills it out without mucking up the sound. Lately I've been on the tape delay setting, seems slightly smoother than others. And I love the modulated setting for cleans, U2, etc. Do a search for a thread on lead delay settings. I started one on this board a month or two ago and got a number of responses too.

you can use the pedal as a reverb pedal as well. search the forums and i'm sure you'll find a nice setting. unfortunately, you can have it perform delay + reverb at the same time as they'll be on different presets.
i use the dd-20s 1st 3 presets (and even the manual preset) for delays and use the amp's reverb but when playing acoustic, i'll use the 4th setting on the dd-20 for my reverb. best of luck.

the problem with the DD-20 is that you need another pedal to tap tempo it..
otherwise it is impressive

I had a DD-20 for 2 years and absolutely hated it. I could not get nice tight delay repeats out of it. I got a muddy mess with the DD-20.

Now a lot of boogie boarders have used the DD-20 to great success and it can be done. I think when I upgraded to a Tc electronics vintage delay that I knew I could not go back to the dd-20. Don't give up on the pedal but dont be afraid to venture elsewhere if you cannot get what you want.

Latest posts

Back