HOW TO ACHIVE A WARM SOUND TRIPLE RECT

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakkspider

Reaction score
Hey!

i've been playing with my triple rectifier enough to make the tubes scream but i haven't found that warm sound that a tube amplifier can give.

My guitar is an ibanez 1570 with dimarzio evo (bridge and neck), i recently bought new (and high quality) cables and a speaker cable gauge 14 so i don't think i'm loosing signal here.

I'm also playing loud enough (half way master and ch. volume)

What do i need to get a warm sound? :roll: do i need a compressor? a delay? :oops:

Thanks!

How are you EQing your amp? What channel are you using? What mode are you in? What kind of speakers are you using?

phyrexia said:
...What kind of speakers are you using?

+1

First rule to get warmth from the Triple (or Dual) is turn it up...looks like you have that covered already. The right speakers can make or break any amp. Try the tube rectifiers as well.

Hey guys!

i'm using the 3rd channel modern mode and sometimes vintage mode, speakers are eminence the governor in a custom cab (very heavy and solid as a rock) and my eq is:

treble: 1 oclock
mid: 11:30
bass 12
gain:3 or 4 o clock
prescence: 12 or 1 oclock

mmmm i think i want some kind of slash sound for solos ( i want a big fat sound, like the rectifier sound in guitar rig called carlos magic woman ...maybe not that compressed), i got the riff thing covered so there's no problem there.

and finally, yes i'm using brand new mesa tubes.

blakkspider said:
Hey guys!

i'm using the 3rd channel modern mode and sometimes vintage mode, speakers are eminence the governor in a custom cab (very heavy and solid as a rock) and my eq is:

bass 12

mmmm i think i want some kind of slash sound for solos ( i want a big fat sound, like the rectifier sound in guitar rig called carlos magic woman ...maybe not that compressed), i got the riff thing covered so there's no problem there.

ouch...i hate to say it, but you're going to have a hard time getting carlos santana and slash sweet child of mine sounds out of a rectifier. There are ways around it to get close...but at the end of the day, it's not 100% suited to those singing smooth solo sounds. A Mark1, 2, 3, or 4 would cover this territory better.

Sounds like you want to get a Mark I and maybe a Stiletto (or even a Marshall 2555?) and A/B/C them. I have never heard Carlos or Slash speaking to me through my DR. I have heard some semblance to Carlos though through my MarkIV. I could even get Slash tones from my Marshalls when I had them :?

your best bet is to do this:

-go to Channel 2 RAW mode
-set everything flat at 12 noon
-go to your neck pickup (preferably a humbucker)
-roll back the volume and tone knobs about 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn each
-bump up the Mids knob a healthy amount...say 130-230 oclock
-make sure you have a lot of volume
-click on tubes and spongy on the back of the amp
-the rest of the knobs are there for you to season to taste...don't go drastic with anything. the mids are the key to both the santana and slash sound.

if you have a tubescreamer pedal or something like that, try using it only after you've messed with the above settings.

ch2 Raw is your best bet, but you can also try ch2 vintage and repeat all of that if you don't have success. The biggest key to Santana is to roll back the knobs on your guitar and bump the amp's mids!! I can't stress that enough!

I was having a similar issue with my RoadKing (Dual Rect). But I have it dialed in nice now...

Try these EQ settings:
Mode: Vintage
Gain: 2-3 o'clock
Treble: 11
Mid: 8-10 o'clock
Bass: 12-1
Pres: somewhere between 7-9 o'clock

I found that by backing off the presence and treble a little makes a big difference. Also, try these same settings in Chanl 2. I think channel 3 on you amp has a different Presence control.

How many Ohms is your cabinet? I plug my 8 Ohm cab into the 4 Ohm section on the amp. It gives me a looser/warmer sound.

I tried those Evolution pick-ups in my Ibanez before, I didn't like them..Too bright. Maybe consider wamer pick-ups.

Good Luck

Your first problem is those Evolutions.....the word 'warm' cannot be used in describing their tone.

I my humble opinion I suggest not listening to those who suggest you cannot get a sweet, warm lead sound ala Santana from a DR. You may not get it from a typical DR setup with stock mesa tubes and/or V30 speakers though. I don't know the Govenors.

With a DR with JJ 6L6s, an EQ and/or a boost (I'm using a GT-8) in front and my somewhat original choice of speakers (2x15) I get a deep, warm, fat, liquid sound that sustain for days and have great harmonics. No fizziness or harsness. Just incredible tone.

With the right EQ shaping in the front I can get very close to the traditional Santana sound.

If your bass-player uses 15" speakers - try them. Next the tubes make a big difference. I really disliked the stock Mesa tubes.

As for settings - in Modern mode I probably have treble at 10, mid at 9, bass at 12, presence at 9 or so - gain, volume to taste.

Don't give up your DR if you like the sound. Use time and experiment - worked for me anyway. :)

Elpelotero said:
blakkspider said:
Hey guys!

bass 12

ouch...i hate to say it, but you're going to have a hard time getting carlos santana and slash sweet child of mine sounds out of a rectifier. There are ways around it to get close...but at the end of the day, it's not 100% suited to those singing smooth solo sounds. A Mark1, 2, 3, or 4 would cover this territory better.

Yeah i believe that too :roll: , what's the difference between all those Mark amps?

Russ said:
Sounds like you want to get a Mark I and maybe a Stiletto (or even a Marshall 2555?) and A/B/C them. I have never heard Carlos or Slash speaking to me through my DR. I have heard some semblance to Carlos though through my MarkIV. I could even get Slash tones from my Marshalls when I had them :?

is it hard to get that slash sounds through the marshalls too?

What's a/b/c/ means?

i've tried the stiletto series before and didn't like them, they sound like a recto with less gain though.

Elpelotero said:
your best bet is to do this:

-go to Channel 2 RAW mode
-set everything flat at 12 noon
-go to your neck pickup (preferably a humbucker)
-roll back the volume and tone knobs about 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn each
-bump up the Mids knob a healthy amount...say 130-230 oclock
-make sure you have a lot of volume
-click on tubes and spongy on the back of the amp
-the rest of the knobs are there for you to season to taste...don't go drastic with anything. the mids are the key to both the santana and slash sound.

if you have a tubescreamer pedal or something like that, try using it only after you've messed with the above settings.

ch2 Raw is your best bet, but you can also try ch2 vintage and repeat all of that if you don't have success. The biggest key to Santana is to roll back the knobs on your guitar and bump the amp's mids!! I can't stress that enough!

i already tried that, everybody says that channel 2 raw and vintage modes are the best for solos and they have that creamy sound we all like but i've found them a litle bit better only if i use some pedals in front of it.

MrSmitty said:
I was having a similar issue with my RoadKing (Dual Rect). But I have it dialed in nice now...

Try these EQ settings:
Mode: Vintage
Gain: 2-3 o'clock
Treble: 11
Mid: 8-10 o'clock
Bass: 12-1
Pres: somewhere between 7-9 o'clock

I found that by backing off the presence and treble a little makes a big difference. Also, try these same settings in Chanl 2. I think channel 3 on you amp has a different Presence control.

How many Ohms is your cabinet? I plug my 8 Ohm cab into the 4 Ohm section on the amp. It gives me a looser/warmer sound.

I tried those Evolution pick-ups in my Ibanez before, I didn't like them..Too bright. Maybe consider wamer pick-ups.

Good Luck

I've heard some clips of the RK and roadsters and they seem to be "warmer" tha the TR, i'll try that anyway..

my cab is 8 ohms and i plug it into the 8 ohm section of the amp

Yes, actually once i played with a fender hot rod and it sounded thin and lifeless but when i played with my friend's guitar (with seymor duncan custom pu's) it sounded warm and fat, pretty cool actually!

What kind of PU's would you suggest?

Rocky said:
Your first problem is those Evolutions.....the word 'warm' cannot be used in describing their tone.

I'm totally agree with you! .... even if i change the pu's, do you think i can get a warmer sound? i mean maybe not santana or slash but something close to them?

dos said:
I my humble opinion I suggest not listening to those who suggest you cannot get a sweet, warm lead sound ala Santana from a DR. You may not get it from a typical DR setup with stock mesa tubes and/or V30 speakers though. I don't know the Govenors.

With a DR with JJ 6L6s, an EQ and/or a boost (I'm using a GT-8) in front and my somewhat original choice of speakers (2x15) I get a deep, warm, fat, liquid sound that sustain for days and have great harmonics. No fizziness or harsness. Just incredible tone.

With the right EQ shaping in the front I can get very close to the traditional Santana sound.

If your bass-player uses 15" speakers - try them. Next the tubes make a big difference. I really disliked the stock Mesa tubes.

As for settings - in Modern mode I probably have treble at 10, mid at 9, bass at 12, presence at 9 or so - gain, volume to taste.

Don't give up your DR if you like the sound. Use time and experiment - worked for me anyway. :)

Yes a few years ago i use to play with a bass speaker and a guitar speaker in a 2x12 cab, it sounded cool man!

I've never been a fan of 6l6 tubes either .... i'm goin to try replacing the Pu's first and if that helps i definetely going to change the tubes.

dos said:

by the way.. do you have any sound clips of that sweet tone?

[/quote]

I've heard some clips of the RK and roadsters and they seem to be "warmer" tha the TR, i'll try that anyway..

my cab is 8 ohms and i plug it into the 8 ohm section of the amp

Yes, actually once i played with a fender hot rod and it sounded thin and lifeless but when i played with my friend's guitar (with seymor duncan custom pu's) it sounded warm and fat, pretty cool actually!

What kind of PU's would you suggest?[/quote]

Try plugging your into cab into the 4 Ohm jack, see how that works for you. Don't worry it won't hurt the amp, it's a "safe match".

As far as other p/up's, I can only comment on DiMarzio's. Those are the only ones I ever use. The EVO's have a lot of Treble and Mid. Try something with a little less Treb/Mid and more Bass. My basswood Ibanez has a Breed p/up and my mahogany Ibanez has a Norton p/up. If you like the Slash/Santana type tone, maybe consider a vintage style p/up.
The Dimarzio website has a pretty good description of each pick up.

Latest posts

Back