How old were you when you started playing guitar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12, I had been studying classical cello since 3rd grade and then one day my older sister bought home "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and Aerosmith "Get your wings"
that was the end of the cello. Played till I was 22, band imploded , I went back to college and didn't touch a guitar again until I was 40. Now I gig quite regularly in a "dad rock" band doing all 70's 80', 90's rock covers, and outside of the band I love 7 string stuff (DT, nevermore) and all of the shrapnel guys
that I completely missed when I went back to school.

Dad was a barber who played mandolin with some other pickers in the ceramic tile barber shop. Fantastic sound those guys put out in that room. I was always around music. I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan and that was it! I started playing trumpet age ten and then seriously on guitar at 12.

I suppose another question is what have you all done in all those years. That is to say, can you play well. Or are you still plodding away.

I started far too late in life so my play is basic - but find it staggering how little some people I meet have learned in a lifetime of playing . Of course we are all different and enjoy different playing experiences.
G

I suppose another question is what have you all done in all those years. That is to say, can you play well. Or are you still plodding away.

I started far too late in life so my play is basic - but find it staggering how little some people I meet have learned in a lifetime of playing . Of course we are all different and enjoy different playing experiences.
G
I never took lessons. Started late at 17 (after being on LSD in a house full of instruments made me realize I was supposed to be a musician). I played clarinet in 3rd & 4th grades and had 1st chair a few times. Piano lessons for less than a year around age 12. But none of it kept my interest.
I started on bass soon before graduation, then got a guitar about a year later. I learned to play by getting tabs of songs I know and figuring them out. I was recording original music within the first year, thru the 1/8" mic input on an Aiwa stereo to tape. Then I'd move the tape to the play deck and put another blank tape in and dub the tape while playing another instrument/track thru the mic input. I'd get up to 6 tracks like this. Also got a keyboard and enrolled in MIDI and home recording classes at community college.
Now 43, been playing for 26 years, but there was a 9 year period where I didn't have a guitar/bass because I lost everything in 2012 when I became homeless due to permanent disability. 3 years homeless but 6 more years indoors before I was able to get a guitar/bass again (on SSDI, very low income).
But since 2021 I've put together a decent home studio again and have been working on new music every day since. I don't have the technical skill you'd expect from someone that's played for 26 years, but I never cared to play the fast solos and other typical stuff you hear so many people regurgitating. There are many very skilled yet boring guitarists.
My strength is in composition, creating and arranging original songs. I can play guitar, bass, synths, and synth and hand drums well enough to record the music I write, but I am far from being a master of any of the instruments I play.
I can confidently say that my music is unique, authentic, and innovative. If there is other music that sounds like mine, I haven't heard it. I use a lot of odd time signatures, and after 23 years since I first discovered them, 5/4, 9/4, 7/8, 11/4, etc are as natural to me as 4/4.
DECEMBERmusic.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I never took lessons. Started late at 17 (after being on LSD in a house full of instruments made me realize I was supposed to be a musician). I played clarinet in 3rd & 4th grades and had 1st chair a few times. Piano lessons for less than a year around age 12. But none of it kept my interest.
I started on bass soon before graduation, then got a guitar about a year later. I learned to play by getting tabs of songs I know and figuring them out. I was recording original music within the first year, thru the 1/8" mic input on an Aiwa stereo to tape. Then I'd move the tape to the play deck and put another blank tape in and dub the tape while playing another instrument/track thru the mic input. I'd get up to 6 tracks like this. Also got a keyboard and enrolled in MIDI and home recording classes at community college.
Now 43, been playing for 26 years, but there was a 9 year period where I didn't have a guitar/bass because I lost everything in 2012 when I became homeless due to permanent disability. 3 years homeless but 6 more years indoors before I was able to get a guitar/bass again (on SSDI, very low income).
But since 2021 I've put together a decent home studio again and have been working on new music every day since. I don't have the technical skill you'd expect from someone that's played for 26 years, but I never cared to play the fast solos and other typical stuff you hear so many people regurgitating. There are many very skilled yet boring guitarists.
My strength is in composition, creating and arranging original songs. I can play guitar, bass, synths, and synth and hand drums well enough to record the music I write, but I am far from being a master of any of the instruments I play.
I can confidently say that my music is unique, authentic, and innovative. If there is other music that sounds like mine, I haven't heard it. I use a lot of odd time signatures, and after 23 years since I first discovered them, 5/4, 9/4, 7/8, 11/4, etc are as natural to me as 4/4.
DECEMBERmusic.org
Wow, your story is both sad and joyous. I am pleased that making music means so much to you. Long may your current position prevail or even improve.

Thank you for sharing man. It’s inspiring!

G

Back