how heavy is the Rhythm 2 channel on the Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trifixion

Reaction score
How heavy can you dial in the distortion on the Rhythm 2 channel of the Mark IV head? I understand that it's a "crunch" channel, but are we talking about blues/classic rock crunch or can you dial up some heavy chunk for metal riffing like Battery or Peace Sells type rhythms? ...or does the Mark IV lead channel better serve this purpose?

Thanks

Oops, I just noticed that the Mark IV is considered vintage. Perhaps my post should be moved to the Vintage section. Sorry!

Rhythm 2 can do Lamb of God, Metallica, and Megadeth just fine. I find the difference between 2 and lead channel is that the lead channel saturates a bit more for a more wet, modern tone. Like I said though R2 does get HEAVY 8)

it's pretty rippy...the lead is a more full than the rhy 2 but...it doesn't have that huge fat gain like a recto..it's more like a 5150 with alittle less gain...as tight as a tiger...pretty of presence and sear..

IMO, ch2 has more of a classic rock vibe to it than a metal one.

It's also my favorite channel because of that :D

I really like RHY2 on my Mark IV, very Brown sound, classic Rock, it's perfect !!!

trifixion said:
I understand that it's a "crunch" channel, but are we talking about blues/classic rock crunch or can you dial up some heavy chunk for metal riffing like Battery or Peace Sells type rhythms? ...or does the Mark IV lead channel better serve this purpose?

In all honesty I don't think the 2nd channel is designed for heavy rhythm sounds, its more useful as a dirty clean channel (just think Hey Joe or crosstown traffic). You'll get a nice Battery type tone with the lead channel though, no problem.

Hey man. I use a Mark IV for metal and I gotta say, the lead chanel is the way to go if you decide to get one. Channel 2 is cool for jammin' out some Zep or Sab but the lead channel is the ticket to modern ultra saturated unstopable gain. I compress and gate but use nothing else to achieve total facial meltage. Eurotubes' high gain front end helps too. I also have a 5150 and the Mark IV totally OWNS it. More low end, more focused gain less fizz/buzz. Much tighter than a Recto.

metalmaster said:
I also have a 5150 and the Mark IV totally OWNS it. More low end, more focused gain less fizz/buzz. Much tighter than a Recto.

I must say I prefer the Mark IV to the Rectos for heavy tones. That heavy 'master of puppets' type type rhythm tone seems to becoming more fashionable and less passe than the over-used Recto sound at the moment. The Mark IV is alot more focused, that's for sure.

if you play in a guitar band ..if the other guitarist has somthing like a recto then the mkiv's rhy2 is awsome becasue it's cutty and clear..they work really well together...

I play in a cover band that does everything from Elvis to Ozzy.

When we do all the classic rock stuff, I'm usually on r2

When we do the ozzy and the heavier stuff, I'm on the lead channel.

Scott

Well, i have an older mk 4 too(april 92), and it does that.

EMG pickups and graphic EQ helps alot....

But the B versions are more gainy in the rythm channel.
But i like the rythm on my A, useful for crunchy rolling solosounds.

Back