High gain distortion / Fuzz on Ch.1 Tweed!`

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have swapped out the stock tubes for SED Winged C's and Tung Sol 12xax7's and Tweed cranked has morphed into the Sabbath Channel :twisted:

Heritage Softail said:
I have swapped out the stock tubes for SED Winged C's and Tung Sol 12xax7's and Tweed cranked has morphed into the Sabbath Channel :twisted:

El34s or 6L6s?

I've been noticing some settings where people have been cranking the master, and in this case, gain. Does this not put too much strain on preamp tubes since the nature of the channel doesn't really have tons and tons of gain in the first place?

For example, would channel 3 with the gain at 2:00 still be putting preamp tubes through more work than the gain maxed on channel 1?

scott7d said:
I've been noticing some settings where people have been cranking the master, and in this case, gain. Does this not put too much strain on preamp tubes since the nature of the channel doesn't really have tons and tons of gain in the first place?

For example, would channel 3 with the gain at 2:00 still be putting preamp tubes through more work than the gain maxed on channel 1?

You may want to message Timbre Wolf or Mav212. They seem to know tubes very well and understand why they do what they do, or what constitutes Tube Abuse.

I bought some SED Winged C 6L6 power tubes for the way they overdrive. I crank the gain and master, and crank the overall volume. I have a little room between me and the next neighbor and earplugs.... IMO, Boogies like to be cranked a bit to breathe. To my ears they need to be at live volume for a smallish gig to let the power section overdrive and get the powersection overdrive characteristic without the overly gainy distortion. This could probably be said way better than I just tried to. :wink: I love the high gain sound, at the right time. But Ch 1 with gain and master up has a lively feel and awesome crunch that no modeler can reproduce. But I am VERY partial to the cranked and crunchy Boogie Mark series voicing.

It's doubtful the tube itself is being "hurt", just because it's driven into clipping. An issue would be driving the tube into microphonics, as the ensuing high-volume-feedback-squealing is not great for speakers. Plus, at that point, the tube is shaking itself apart. Good times!

I'm no amp expert but I tend to think that if you could hurt a $2600 amp by using the controls the company designed that company wouldn't be in business very long.

Latest posts

Back