Help! Which Mesa to Buy for my style...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillySims

Reaction score
Help me out here.. I enjoy playing 3 types of music that have quite varying tone requirements & I dont want to buy 3-4 different amps...

What would be the "Jack of all trades" for me based on my needs below?

1st. I'm primarily a modern style country player (Brent Mason type sound).. So Im looking for that good Twin or Deluxe clean tone with good headroom that doesnt breakup.

2nd. Edgy southern rock drive or partially clean/breakup chords & lead.

3rd. I love 80's rock.. Doug Aldrich of Whitesnake is my favorite player.. I love his tone..

What would be the best amp for me based on the above?.. (p.s. I DO prefer a 1X12 combo due to size/weight

Thanks!!! Check out the video of my "attempt" at Eruption on my page... www.myspace.com/HillbillyDeluxeBand

Anthony Sims

I'm thinking Lonestar Classic, with maybe a drive pedal to get you into 80s territory.

An F-series or a Mark would do a creditable job as well IMO.

He did say size and weight didn't he? You need a forklift for the roadking and the Lonestar still comes in at over 75 bulky lbs.
You might want to check out an F series for portablility.

ashjn said:
I would recommend the Lonestar for the first 2, not sure about the 3rd though.

Maybe a Roadking...

The Mesa F-50 will do everything you're asking and more.

IMO, the Lone Star only has stellar reverb on the F-series, but the core clean tones of both amps are excellent.

Check out the clips in the first post of the F-series lounge on HCAF: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856

I should have been a little more detailed in the "size/weight" comment.. I can handle a 65-75lb amp.. its just the SIZE of a 2X12 like a Twin that is hard on me (due to the awkwardness of carrying it)

I have back problems & need to be able to easily carry the amp in front of me in my arms.. or by myside using the handle.

The Lonestar/Roadking/Rectoverb/Roadster are all either the size of 2x12 cabs with 1 speaker or 2x12 combos, they are VERY bulky to carry. The F50 and F30 are single speaker enclosures.

HillbillySims said:
I should have been a little more detailed in the "size/weight" comment.. I can handle a 65-75lb amp.. its just the SIZE of a 2X12 like a Twin that is hard on me (due to the awkwardness of carrying it)

I have back problems & need to be able to easily carry the amp in front of me in my arms.. or by myside using the handle.

I may be wrong.. but it seems like some of Mesa's amps come in what they call "compact" 1X12.. which isnt the full size cab..

Maybe the Nomad?... Does anyone else know what other amps are offered in the "compact" special order size?.. I was thinking there were more.

I DO REALLY REALLY like the fact that the roadster has seperate reverb for all the channels.. thats nice for various styles

Width:
F30 18.5 inches
Mark IV 18.5
F50 22.5
Mark IV Widebody 22.5
Lone Star Special 22.875
Lone Star 26.75
Rectoverb 26.75

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Product_Guide/ProdRef_0206.pdf

Also, I believe the Nomads are discontinued.

HillbillySims said:
I may be wrong.. but it seems like some of Mesa's amps come in what they call "compact" 1X12.. which isnt the full size cab..

Maybe the Nomad?... Does anyone else know what other amps are offered in the "compact" special order size?.. I was thinking there were more.

I DO REALLY REALLY like the fact that the roadster has seperate reverb for all the channels.. thats nice for various styles

I dont like that bright, thin, twang.. I like a fat amp with some bottom end that doesnt break up under moderate compression.

I noticed the roadster 1X12 has a closed back cabinet with a small port hole... Do you think that type of cab would be better for bottom end?

Im not sure if anyone has heard any of Brent Mason's studio guitar sounds.. but thats kind of the clean sound I try to get live (Within reason of course)...

On the overdrive side... I would like to find an amp that sounds similar to some of the high gain sounds you find in an ADA Mp-1 classic.. I have that preamp & love it

HillbillySims said:
Any thoughts about the new Roadster?.. would it match my needs better than the Lonestar?.. Or a Mark IV combo??

I think you are right on the money with those two choices . The Lone Star has the best cleans but the Mark IV is more versital . By the way . I checked out you site . I dig your playing . Im not a country player but I sure like them . Especially Albert Lee, Marty Stuart and Pete Anderson . Try out both of those amps you will love them . They arent instant gratification though . I assure you the sweet spots are in their though . Good job on eruption .

Barry

www.toyzzband.com

Have you thought about keeping the ADA & plugging it into the (series) FX loop of whatever combo you get? Might make the Loan... I mean Lonestar just what you want.

Yes!.. i have thought about every configuration imaginable to tap into the ADA's high gain tones... but every different configuration & setup I have tried affects my core tone that I MUST have..

I use an old Roland GP-8 Analog processor.. its got the most rightous compressor for country... it ONLY sounds good if you run your guitar straight into its input, then out of the output & to the front input of your guitar amp.. Its my signature sound so to speak.. and it has really really good analog delay & chorus.. THICK & WARM

HOWEVER I have not so far figured out a way to hook up the ADA without mucking that core sound up... if you run the GP8 into the ADA's input it overdrives the ADA's inpout (in a bad way) because the GP8 signal is so strong..

I tried all different variations of effects loops & order etc etc & it just made the worst of both units... I pretty much resolved the ONLY way to do it & have the sound I like is essentially run 2 rigs with a switcher to send my guitar signal STRAIGHT to the GP8.. or straight to the ADA.. But I hate the cable mess..

Thats why I wish one of the Mesa combos could fill the ADA gain need while letting me keep my core clean tone using the GP8...

OH!.. the endless search the fight for the perfect tone.. so fun

You should get a Rivera - An R series or M series combo has exactly what you are looking for. Excellent cleans and a nice taper on the crunch channel that takes you from clean to Plexi or hot rodded JCM 800 with the boost engaged.

Thanks! I will read up on those tonight.. I saw a guy in Nashville using a rivera one night.. (he was a pro road player for someone.. i cant remember who).. and it just didnt sound good (*coulda been the room or the player though)..

Funny enough.. I hate to admit this.. but the BEST sound I ever heard on Broadway in Nashville was this guy named Jackie Harris using a El Cheapo Peavey Special 130 combo with a Roland GP8 processor... I swear it sounded clean as studio stuff.. cleans & overdrives..

I went & bought the same rig after that..... SUCKED... wierd.. ha ha

Another vote for the Lonestar. I have been sitting in my music room tweaking my LSC, my DRRI and a new Allen Accomplice. The Allen is supposed to be a souped up Deluxe Reverb. I love how the LSC does the Twin Reverb and DR tones. I have a Weber California in the DRRI and it does the DR thing real nice.

Now I'm trying to find the settings on my Allen so it does the DR thing the way my LSC does. In other words, I'm trying to emulate an amp that's emulating another amp. My tone search keeps coming back to the way my LSC does the DR and TR.

I could probably live with just the LSC, but it is a bear to lug around.

Latest posts

Back