Help needed choosing a poweramp for a Studio Preamp.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveShred86

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

David here, it's my first post on these boards and first of all I want to thank everybody here for taking part in such awesome forums. Lots of good info and expertise here.

Some weeks ago I purchased my first MESA BOOGIE product, an old (in very good status by the way) Mesa Studio Preamp.

Thing is that I am looking for a poweramp for this goodie boogie, my sonical pretensions are focused on old school thrash Metallica tone, (Master/AJFA era to be more precise).

Which poweramp would bring me closer to the IIC+ / IV sound? I'm not on a short budget so I will take what I have to take.

Is the IIC+ mod absolutely mandatory?

I play with mahogany guitars equiped with emg 81, when I tried the studio preamp through the powersection of a JCM900 100watts I felt quite close...

Thanks in advance to any answer.

Edit:

Sorry I forgot to tell, I play on a Bigtone cab with 4 x 12 Celestion V30

Edit 2:

I also own a JCM 800 from 1982 powered with EL34. Just using it's power amp section would be better than any MESA poweramp I can purchase for the sound I'm looking for?

You want a Stereo Simul-Class 2:90 or Stereo Simul-Class 295. They have power amp topologies that are basically identical to that of the Mark IIC+.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I will go for the 295... I don't want to mod my JCM800 to have access to the power amp with some FX LOOP chipset...

What about the IIC+ Mod? is it hard to do?

Hello.
I have a 1990 Boogie Studio pre modded by Mike B. to - II C ++ Yikes! mod.

Mike can do two II C ++ mods to a Studio pre.
1. Is the standard II C ++ mod where you keep your clean ch. & ch 2 is the Hetfield mod.
2. Is the Yikes! II C ++ mod, where your clean ch becomes dirty & your Ch 2. becomes the Hetfield mod on Steroids!!

I run the pre into a 1986 295 Simul stereo ower amp, into my 1981 boggie 4x12 monster cab with four Eminence custom built to Boogie specs - 150 watt speakers.

Why is the 295 the Best power amp for the studio pre? Simple- The Power Transformer is HUGE. Therefore massive headroom & string articulation.

This Boogie rig - when cranked up - literally peels the paint of the walls, after every car alarm goes off on every car on the street.

Cheers & happy new year.

[/img]

Simul 295 owner too!

I also did some mods here and there to the Studio Preamp, I also own now a Quad...love these machines!!!!!!!

DimePantera1 said:
Hello.

1. Is the standard II C ++ mod where you keep your clean ch. & ch 2 is the Hetfield mod.
2. Is the Yikes! II C ++ mod, where your clean ch becomes dirty & your Ch 2. becomes the Hetfield mod on Steroids!!

I run the pre into a 1986 295 Simul stereo ower amp, into my 1981 boggie 4x12 monster cab with four Eminence custom built to Boogie specs - 150 watt speakers.

Why is the 295 the Best power amp for the studio pre? Simple- The Power Transformer is HUGE. Therefore massive headroom & string articulation.

This Boogie rig - when cranked up - literally peels the paint of the walls, after every car alarm goes off on every car on the street.

Cheers & happy new year.

[/img]

Oh, just by the way, would you share some settings for some lovely Hetfield crunch tone? just out of curiosity...

Hello.

Settings vary on speaker type- wattage - 4x12, 2x12, mixed 2 - 2x12, 2-4x12 cabs. Mixed speakers in cabs!!
Then you have pre- Studio preamp - GEQ - (MXR -blueface) or parametric EQ.
Then you have post - Studio preamp - GEQ from the studio pre into the 295 poweramp.
Then you have guitar body & neck wood-Type - EMG 81 or EMG 81x - 9v, 18v, or 24volt?
Then you have string size?
Then you have year of your - Stock Studio preamp? 1989 - Is Best- gray colour GEQ panels with FX loop- metal toogle switch!!
Then you have modded Studio pre's!!
Then you have to adjust all Studio preamp knobs & play with GEQ s slider settings.
Then when you think you have the AJFA & MOP tone- adjust your palm muting & downpicking with alternate picking!!!
Then Get - EAR PLUGS - Turn It Up - enough to drive your neighbours - Insane!!
now you are getting the FEEL of A Metallica - James Hetfield - Boogie guitar RIG!!
Just add lot's of Heineken Beer - screaming fans - Blow & create your own - Thrash Music & You Too Can Become A Livng Legend!!

note - the order of above & deleted steps - can be changed due to unforeseen circumstances -

In which case - Pull out your Guitar Processor & Fake It!!

Cheers & HS !! MotherFu*ckers !!

Hello.

Cheers & happy new year.

[/img]
If you could DM me

This halfback version with MS-12's is one config I don't have. I can see you think its the bees knees so do you use it open top or full back?

I've been wanting to make this MS-12 4x12 halfback with open top. The other options would be a 3/4, LS or trad with custom 3/4ish back 4x12 for the open back.

I've got the C90/EV, C90/VS-12, EV/EV, and C90/V30 halfbacks and have 3 of the 4 MS-12's I'll need once I find a donor cab, halfback or 3/4 ideally.

Latest posts

Back