Has anyone tried JJ KT77's in their Stiletto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a pair of JJ KT77's from Eurotubes. The guy at Eurotubes that emailed me said that they get a low end closer to a 6L6 while retaining good harmonic complexity.

This is my 1st tube amp, so I have never messed around with trying out tubes. I would like to know others opinions on:

Would it really change the tone much?
What would I lose in my current tone?
Would I notice a difference when I play at home or only in a band situation?

I want to try them, but I don't want to bother if I won't be able to hear a difference. I don't want the new tubes to end up being two new light bulbs in the back of the amp.

I have a ROV, but there is a definitive difference, IMO. I've used 6l6 and EL34, but have settled on the KT77's. The El's lacked the bottom end I like, and the 6L6's were boomy on the bottom. I have a nice tone going with the KT's. Give them a try, see if you like it.

For me there's not a better tube for the Ace than the KT-77. No more switchin. :evil: They help with the brightness and add a great low end feel. They also have a great mid range thats sweet for leads. The tubes I've tried-- JJ EL-34L, GT.EL-34M and NOS Tesla EL-34(super close contender) and the KT's are the cat in the bird's seat

cant play pool with a rop said:
For me there's not a better tube for the Ace than the KT-77. No more switchin. :evil: They help with the brightness and add a great low end feel. They also have a great mid range thats sweet for leads. The tubes I've tried-- JJ EL-34L, GT.EL-34M and NOS Tesla EL-34(super close contender) and the KT's are the cat in the bird's seat

Thanks - Compared to the stock EL34's, did you lose anything that you liked from your original tone?

I think I am going to try a set

eurotubes will eventually get to listing the tube set up for the stiletto.
There are just too many amps I assume to keep up with it all the time.
Tell them what amp your using and they will set you up.

I have also noticed the brightness with this amp. I dont notice too much brightness in the clean channels at all. Matter of fact the only brightness I really notice is on the crunch mode in either channel. Try an open
D chord in this channel with the presence and treble around half way like most amps. It can sound brittle. Although you will find that you can cut this high brittleness by lowering both the presence and treble.

Im using a Gibson LP custom with original pickups and a telecaster with Duncan little 59 stacked bucker in the bridge.

Im also going to try some new KT77'S from eurotubes soon.

I just threw in a set of JJ KT77's as well as a bunch of new pre-amp tubes and it's brought my Stiletto Trident II to new levels of thickness and chunk. Most of the top-end brittleness is gone and the bottom end is crushingly thick. Highly recommend swapping out the EL34's for KT77's if the top-end is tearing your head off.
Couldn't be happier with the outcome as I was contemplating unloading it cause I couldn't find that thick tone I wanted.

+1 for the KT77's

They make the clean channel sound awesome as well. Imho the KT77 is a great tube for this amp.

Latest posts

Back