Gretsch G5120 or Hagstrom Viking Deluxe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art_n_music

Reaction score
I know it is another apples to oranges comparison (hollow/semi hollow), but here is the deal.

I am looking for a guitar for my son who will be the guitarist in his high school's top jazz band this coming year and want to get him something usable for a cross section of jazz, blues and rock. He uses a real nice epi les paul upgraded w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB of mine. Great for rock and blues, not as good for jazz...a little too dark.

He has played the 5120 in stores and likes the feel, but I wasn't impressed with the stock pups. I have heard a Viking Deluxe played before and really liked the sound. I would personally vote for the Hagstrom semi-hollowbody as I like their stock pups and no feedback issue being semi-hollow. They sound great, but I hear a LOT of mention about build quality. And there is also no shop in the state carrying the Hagstrom, so can't pick and choose. My budget is tight, so looking to get either one used and they seem to come up for sale in the $500 - $600 used.

Can any of you help with the decision...or make it worse by suggesting another guitar? Thanks! :lol:

I would definitly go with the semi-hollow. I see that he likes the epi les paul. Have you thought about an epi 355? I have a Gibson 355 (i know out of the price range), that I enjoy, and I would think the epi would sound pretty good. I beleive they run around $400 - $500.

art_n_music said:
epi les paul upgraded w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB of mine. Great for rock and blues, not as good for jazz...a little too dark.

Are you talking about the Jazz PU? If not, that's the first time I ever heard a JB called "dark" :?
But that's just my ears.

I second the Epi 355, they're decent guitars for the price.

Latest posts

Back