Greatest Guitar ever made

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatest guitar manufacturer

• ESP

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Fender

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Gibson

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • PRS

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Charvel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jackson

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Suhr

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Ibanez

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • BC Rich

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Tom Anedrson

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
I'm assuming, of course, that we are limiting this to electric guitars. I started out playing a Gibson ES-330 (yes, it was a very nice first electric) and then an SG and a Les Paul and then moved onto Strats and Teles for about a decade.

I've played and/or owned some very nice examples from Gibson, Fender, Dean, Warmoth, Guild, Gretch, Brian Moore, Ibanez, Kramer, PRS and many others. I have also played absolute dogs from every one of those companies.

However, the one electric guitar that made me reevaluate tone and craftsmanship and what a great guitar could sound like was a Gibson Citation arch-top that my luthier happened to have in his shop several years ago. While he replaced the bridge and setup my ES-339 he let me play that thing for a couple of hours and I was ready to offer just about any price to own that guitar and I am by no means a jazz purist. However, the guitar belonged to another client of his who was a collector and not willing to sell.

Therefore, I have to vote for Gibson even though I will cite their solid-wood arch-tops rather than a Les Paul as the pinnacle of their work.

Wayne

PRS! My wife took one look and said you need one of those! Paul Reed Smith makes guitars so nice you wife wants you to have one!
Same thing with the Hardwood Boogie. Now she doesn't know a MkIV from a Twin Reverb but, she knows when something's beautiful!!
Those Smith boys are both geniuses!!

My ESP custom shop Explorer changed my life. I still want a PRS but can't justify spending that kind of money yet. Maybe a Carvin CT6. :twisted:

The Gibson ES-335-TD is my N°1. Here's mine (1980 LH) :

361673IMG_3512.jpg

A+!

I like my Hamers. Don't know if they're the greatest guitar but they sound and look great to me. Love the neck on my T-62.

I think there are 3.. in this order Gibson Les Paul I've had 4 and currently use a double cut..Telecaster..I have a power Tele...and Strat 1...These guitars changed music history.. can't get any better than that fact..But for the greatest, I gotta go with the Paul. Hands down.

I love Gibsons, Fenders, Epi's, Schecters, PRS's... and pretty much everything else, but I'm always drawn to pretty much everything Ibanez puts out, so Ibanez for me. :mrgreen:

This is the best guitar I've ever played-
AE185_3.JPG

I bought this used a couple of weeks ago on CL for $400 from it's original owner. It's a 10 year old Carvin AE185 in beautiful condition. The po was a sax player who figured that he'd try guitar and lost interest. Playing alone at home I thought it was just okay- incredible playability, really good acoustic tone (the body and thru neck are alder, the top is spruce and it has an LR Baggs ribbon element) and just okay electric tone.

I tried it with my band and we were all blown away! The acoustic tone, plugged into the PA is wonderful and the electric tone plugged into a guitar amp is fantastic (I use two cables. The guitar has a pan knob)!

Believe it or not, even with the acoustic bridge, the guitar intonates fine. I've played it all the way to the 24th fret with no issues.

This guitar draws things out of me that I didn't realize that I knew how to play! I've never experienced such musical freedom! That sounds like a cliche but in this case, it's true!

BTW, I have another Carvin, a DC150, that plays even better (though it's tone doesn't draw me in like this one does). They can be great guitars. I've never had a Fender or Gibson that plays as well (and I've had a lot of Fender and Gibsons- new, used and Vintage- in the past 30 years or so)!

I've got an 81 G&L S500 that will never be replaced. Even after the 2nd refret. G&L's don't get enough love. It's still not the guitar I play the most though, but that's irrelevant.

I played a DBZ Bolero the other night. Not the best guitar ever made but possibly the best in it's price ramge.

emoshurchak said:
My vote goes to the Fury BBM.

AWESOME!! From my "name" you may gather I'm a fan. I know a number of guys with a BBM. Love 'em. I can't get enough of my Fury Fireball and my Fury Meridian (expecting her back from the factory soon - Glenn refinished and signed my guitar). Now all I need is a BBM, Bandit and a 20th Century Artist. I had the chance to play Glenn's prototype of the the Fury 20th Century Artist (hollow body) in his shop and it was easily the most responsive guitar I have ever played. I first got to meet Glenn McDougall during a visit to Saskatoon in 1999. One of the coolest people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

I have to put my Zion in the mix.
This guitar just sings like no other.
Plays like butter and holds tuning forever...

Why is Dean guitars not on that list? Thier USA models are some of the best quality out there. Gibsons are so hit and miss nowadays that unless you cherry pick from a large inventory, you are playing russian roulette with them. Imports on the other hand, no matter the brand, all have thier flaws.

endless_mike03 said:
I love Gibsons, Fenders, Epi's, Schecters, PRS's... and pretty much everything else, but I'm always drawn to pretty much everything Ibanez puts out, so Ibanez for me. :mrgreen:

The vintage Ibanez stuff (78-88) are on par with some of the best Gibsons I've played and I've played several prized Goldtops. The Ibby's are hidden gems! I own many and all combined, cost less than a vintage Gibby...

The Gibson Les Paul

I am a die hard Gibson guy. My favorite is a Les Paul though I play my SG a lot. I also have a Firebird, ES-339 and an Explorer as well. The 339 has intrigued me lately, I just put money on another one (Alpine White w/ gold hardware).

Something about Mahogany and Buckers that moves me :wink:

Latest posts

Back