Got a new cab, Port City 212...WOW! (VID!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shogun

Reaction score
So far i've tried with my MKV:

Orange 212
Stiletto 212
Recto 212

I would place them in that order, in terms of sound quality..

NOW..

I just received my Port City 212 w/ Eminence Cannabis Rex Speakers... oh man.. This thing blows away any of the above cabs!

I can finally turn my mark up loud, with any amount of treble, and it doesnt get harsh when the speakers are hitting you face-on!
This opens up the option for uber tonal shaping! I had to watch how high I'd have my treble (with other cabs) because if I were to turn the amp up, anyone hearing the center of the speakers would have their ears burned! With this Port City cab, the tone stays fat and thick!!!!!!

Not only does it sound huge for a 212-- it projects the sound up, to the point where I can have the cab on the floor, and still hear while I'm playing with a band (rare for a 212), and this thing is a joke to carry! It feels like your lifting a 112, and the handle on the top is epic.. I really can't stand the Mesa style handle!

Pics and vids to come.. I'm so pumped about this.. Can't wait to get more from Dan @ Port City!

Steve

After some web searching I'm gassing like a mad man! What style of music do you play? What made you choose that speaker?

ryjan said:
After some web searching I'm gassing like a mad man! What style of music do you play? What made you choose that speaker?

Yes Yes, more info and PICS! perhaps SOUND CLIPS!! :lol:

I too would like more info/pics/sound clips of this as well! These speakers sound like they are right up my alley instead of the V30s.

uh oh...something to replace my beloved bogners... :mrgreen:

edit: GAS!!!!! argh!

yeah, looking into one now...

i love the speakers i have though, so maybe i can just sell the bogners unloaded.

hey guys, i used it at rehearsal tonight and..... :shock:

best tone i've ever experienced 8)

i weighed it when i got home (laughable to carry) and my scale says 46lbs.. LOL

i can't believe this cabinet sounds so big and great, yet is so easy to lug..

---

dan will do 'custom' cabs, so i'm sure you can do stereo..

im seriously so pumped about this.. now i cant wait to get a second, a 112, or a 412.. or maybe all!!!!!!!!!!!

pics, vids, etc to come!

i used it to record a lesson today that will be going up on infiniteguitar.com tomorrow! (in case any of you go on that site)

http://www.portcityamps.com/412.html

WOW

4x12: 29h x 14d x 29w
Weight unloaded 32lbs.

The Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers are only 8.2lbs each... Do the math.. thats one LIGHT, yet HUGE sounding 412.. GASGASGASGASGASGASGAS

shogun said:
http://www.portcityamps.com/412.html

WOW

4x12: 29h x 14d x 29w
Weight unloaded 32lbs.

The Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers are only 8.2lbs each... Do the math.. thats one LIGHT, yet HUGE sounding 412.. GASGASGASGASGASGASGAS

Imagine it loaded wit Eminence Tonkerlites at 4.1 pounds each - that's a total 4x12 cab weight of 50.4 pounds...

ty

hey guys, i just did a detailed review / demo of the cab..

its currently still processing, quality will go up shortly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1CziZwHQQ

bump! the owner of port city commenting in this thread speaks for what kind of company it is.. i've decided on getting a 412 as soon as i have the funds!

best speakers for the mark v are any eminence speakers i say, they respond so amazingly with the mark lol.

So guys to add to this thread i had a gig with mark V and a Port city 2x12. I had killer tone and it cut through the mix like a knife. The 2x12 i used had Vintage 30s instead of eminence speakers. Im always gonna be a celestion guy but **** that cab sounded good. Ive never had so much clarity out of a cabinet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBkqaIF2riI

here's another vid using the cab.. mic'ing setup is a bit better.. i think it captures the tone a lot truer (is that a word?) to how it sounds in my room

shogun said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBkqaIF2riI

here's another vid using the cab.. mic'ing setup is a bit better.. i think it captures the tone a lot truer (is that a word?) to how it sounds in my room
love the thickness of the blues tones, esp on lead! not a strat person, myself, but i can still appreciate single coil spank.

btw, don't you love the clean channel w/ singles?! :D

So do you think the V30's would sound better in a PC cab than with the Orange/Mesa Boogie cab you used them in or do you think they would still have that ice picky top end? I planned on ordering a Port City OS 2x12 and still debating on what speakers to get (will be playing through a Mark V as well). This thread really sparked my interest with the Eminence Cannabis Rex. I like to play anything from Rush to Dream Theater, Metallica to even lighter rock and wondered how well the Cannabis Rex speakers would be for that type of music... any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hey bro, not sure about the v30 thing, but I would guess that they would still get harsh. When taking lessons from Greg Howe (port city endorsee), I remember him talking about V30's having a 'double note' effect at high volumes. You should def keep in mind though, that I am somewhat unique in that I am very anal about having my speakers hitting me in the face. I'd say the majority of players don't aim for that, thus hating the sound of their amp when having their ears directly in front of the center cone! I would recommend the rex.. I'm having the best tones so far with this amp, and like I said in the video, i've owned quite a few different cabs while having my Mark V. Daniel from port city would be the guy to ask about speaker choice, though.. And I play the same type of music, fyi!

Steve

Latest posts

Back