G-Force touch wah problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm using a G-Force, but the envelope modifier (used for touch wah, etc) is not sensitive enough because of the positon of the g-force in rig.

The setup is:
Guitar - Noise Gate - Compression - Preamp (TriAxis) - Effects (G-Force) - Power Amp

There is nothing wrong with the G-Force hardware or software. But I want the guitar signal to be so compressed by the time it gets to the g-force and this means the envelope modifier is not very representative of how hard I hit the strings.

Can anyone think of a way around this problem? I really want to be able to control a wah effect based on how hard I hit the strings?

dr.indiflidual said:
I'm using a G-Force, but the envelope modifier (used for touch wah, etc) is not sensitive enough because of the positon of the g-force in rig.

The setup is:
Guitar - Noise Gate - Compression - Preamp (TriAxis) - Effects (G-Force) - Power Amp

There is nothing wrong with the G-Force hardware or software. But I want the guitar signal to be so compressed by the time it gets to the g-force and this means the envelope modifier is not very representative of how hard I hit the strings.

Can anyone think of a way around this problem? I really want to be able to control a wah effect based on how hard I hit the strings?

If you are using your compressor all the time, I might suggest trying a rack compressor between the g-force and the power amp. This should work well for overall compression. Then you can use your stomp box compressor (I'm assuming since it's before the preamp) for extra comp if needed on certain patches.

Removing the compression before the effects would help, but wouldn't be perfect because the distortion is compressing it a lot anyway. Plus I don't really want to alter the signal path.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to measure the level of the guitar, right at the start of the chain, then send it to the g-force via midi or via the expression pedal input.

The expression pedal is just a variable resistance, so if I use some sort of unit that sets a resistance based on the guitar level, then this would work.

Any ideas?

Nope, I don't know of any device that does that. It seems a bit overcomplicated, but, in theory, if such a device exists, I guess it would work. I wonder, though, about the lag that may be present of that type of setup especially a touch wah where any bit of lag would be fairly noticable. Good Luck!

Wes

Latest posts

Back