Express vs. Mark IV Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alantig

Reaction score
Help a brother out, Boogie mavens - I test drove an Express 5:25 combo and was very impressed. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't just in love w/the showroom polish job, though, so I pounded away a bit at my Mark IV to see if I could get the same basic tones as the Express, and, well, I couldn't quite get there. Tried a lot of different combinations with the various rocker switches, but there still seemed to be some tones that I couldn't quite get as close to as I'd like, like the clean and the tightness of some of the distorted sounds. I know there's a tube difference between the two, but is the Express really that different a beast or have I just not spent enough time w/the Mark IV?

Alan

Maybe two years. It's a 1x12 wide body combo. I've dialed in some sounds I'm pretty happy with, so it's not a matter of being unhappy w/the Mark IV, but the Express sounded pretty cool when I read about it, and it sounded pretty decent when I played it. I just want to make sure that I'm not just dazzled by the new if I can do the same stuff w/what I have.

I have had my Widebody Mark 4 for about a year and a half and just got my 5:25 Combo last week. They Mark can cover most of the ground of the Express for sure. The reason I bought my Express was I needed a light amp from practice.

brianf

phyrexia said:
I would think the EL84 poweramp of the 5:25 would feel a bit different than the Mark IV.

If that is the sound wanted...then put in Yellow Jackets and that may get 'em closer to the 5:25

I don't own either of the amps, but here is what I'm looking at.

Tubes are different
10" speaker verse a 12" speaker
25 watts running at may 10-30% at the store
100/60 running at 2-5% at your house unless you have a studio

The wattage thing and how you play are made up, but most likely have plenty to do sound......

If I buy one I'm gonna have to find a 15watt weber speaker to run it into just to see. Somthing about 5watts into a C90 seams not right.

Latest posts

Back