EV12L speaker vs. C90 speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a thiele cab with OEM EV12L. I plugged my Mark III into a thiele with C90 at a store once.
I found the EV much tighter. The C90 had a darker tone, and a more rounded top end...
I preferred the EV...
ax. 8)

Like most things speaker choice is a matter of individual taste. It's funny I like the C 90 for the exact reasons Ax didn't. The EV is a very good speaker. It is brighter, tighter and a bit more efficient than the C90. You'll get a little more volume out of the EV for the power applied.
Smoothness is an interesting issue. Santana uses an Altec speaker. The Altec probably has more in common with the EV than the C90. You really should try both if possible.

He's using a mixture of things now. He has Tone Tubbys, Altec, and I think a Marshall cab with Greenbacks, and V-30's. Hey why not he can afford it. What I was referring to was what would be his "classic" sound. Which for many years was the 100 watt MK I with the Altec.
Go here for info on his current rig http://www.santana.com/frameset.html

Hi,

as already mentioned here, the 200 W EVM 12 L is a excellent speaker.
But if one owns a combo version like me ( I have a MK IV combo with the Black Shadow EVM 12 L ), for some sounds and styles may be the EV produces a somehow too tight , focused sound, especially with a Thiele cab if used alone. Don't understand me wrong, I own a pair of Thiele cabs with the OEM EVM, also a 1x12 open back with the Black Shadow EV, but when I use the amp in combination with a 1x12 open back Ext. cab loaded with my V30 or also the MC 90 I get get a much more 3- dimensional, warm and fully sound, at least for my personal taste .
And yes the Altec 417 H or 417 H Series II sounds similar as the EV, but a little smoother. IMO, with both speakers, the EV and the Altec and a Mesa Mark Series amp, one can get the Santana tone.

BTW, I don't like the todays Santana tone too much. Way too dark in comparison with the tone of the early Santana.

A Thiele cab with a C90 will get you there, no sweat.

The C90 is a warmer sounding speaker. Of course saying that, I have a 1992 Mark IV combo with an EV that just sings. I have a feeling that has more to do with the speaker being well broken in though.

I really like the EV, but I'm not a fan of it on it's own. I find is sounds much better when combined with a V30 loaded 4x12.....warms the sound up considerably.

Latest posts

Back