EQ into TC50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krb813

Reaction score
I can get a Mesa 5-band EQ at a good price. Would that or say a MXR or Boss work better with my amp?

I use a Boss GE-7 in the loop of my TC50 and am very pleased with the results. I don't own an MXR nor a Mesa, but I couldn't see any of them doing a bad job.

I’ve tried the Mesa 5BEQ, the Boss GE-7, and the MXR 10 band M-108 with my TC-100. All three do a great job of tone shaping with the amp. I also own a Wampler Equator semi-parametric EQ which I find works better out front.

With that said, I don’t use any of them anymore. IMO the Triple Crown is very well balanced and only lacks a bit of thump for palm muting arpeggiated chords and single string chugs. When I tried bringing that out with the EQ’s I found that the increase in low end brought out more low-register harmonics that just muddied up the amp and took away the mid range clarity that drew me to the amp in the first place.

What’s working for me is a simple 2-band EQ that’s designed to be used in the FX loop. It’s the Amptweaker Depthfinder. It emphasizes the low end response without smothering the low mids. It also has a ‘presence’ control, but I keep that very low, just enough the compliment the added low end from the ‘resonance’ knob.

I also use the Amptweaker Defizzerator to smooth out the extreme hi freqs, it really helps to warm up my G-System when used on the return to the FX loop (right after the Depthfinder)

I thought I would update that I’ve gone back to a Graphic EQ, the Depthfinder was cool but it does something funky in the high mids/treble that just didn’t jive with me.

I’m using the Source Audio EQ2 and playing in stereo. Best EQ I have ever had on my board. Super quiet and it’s great to have EQ presets.

(I don’t have any LED’s out on the EQ, it’s some flicker thing only with my camera)

CCA59-EF6-12-D6-4-F8-A-9747-F3-B9-ED0-B6-F0-C.jpg

EQ2 user here aswell, best eq on the market by a long shot. I was able to use pre and post eq and shape the tc50 into a very convincing british crunch, tweed and twin just using the clean channel, being able to choose freq and q is a godsend. Prob the most used pedal on my board and melts well with the TC50... almost have the high gain channel doing deizel heavy aswell just a little more eq tweaking to do.

Just watch that input dbu from the mesa loop send when on the clean channel, if you push the preamp too hard you can exceed the max dbu the eq2 can take, but im talking vol and gain past 2pm. I love how this amp takes to preamp eq'ing, dial the amps sweet spot in, then fine tune the tone and gain level with the preamp eq, then do the same to the power amp section and theres so much you can cover... amazing circuit

Back