EMG 81tw with a Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this topic, so if it is in the wrong place, I apologize.
Has anyone tried an EMG 81tw with a Roadster yet? I ordered one and it should be here this week. The 81tw is an 81 and a single coil pickup in one. I can't wait to try it.
Also, has anyone used an EMG 60 in the neck? I am going to try this one also because I don't like the tone of the 85 in the neck and want to try something different

I use a emg-81 bridge emg 85 neck in my explorer pro.
and a emg-81 bridge emg 60 neck in my les paul.

Over the years i have used lots of pickups, for my style of playing, which is hard rock i love emg's and probably wont own anything else. They will also give you crystal clear cleans. As far as the neck pickup goes, im problaby going to replace the emg-85 with the 60 in my explorer pro. I personally think that the emg-60 is one of the best neck pickups i have ever heard. It does not sound like a active pickup. It is a real warm, smooth sounding pickup. The 81 is chimey and has alot of treble, Cranked with the Roadster's channel 4 the 81 will scream man!!

I play with emg 85s and they sounds great. warmer than emg 81. sounds awesome with the roadster. metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you using your 85's in the neck or bridge position? Mine is in the neck and I think it is too bassy. I haven't tried it in the bridge though.

jhguitar1 said:
I didn't know where to post this topic, so if it is in the wrong place, I apologize.
Has anyone tried an EMG 81tw with a Roadster yet? I ordered one and it should be here this week. The 81tw is an 81 and a single coil pickup in one. I can't wait to try it.
Also, has anyone used an EMG 60 in the neck? I am going to try this one also because I don't like the tone of the 85 in the neck and want to try something different

i have a esp eclipse 400 with emg 81 in the bridge and 89 in the neck (which is an 85 with the push/pull to go to a single coil) and a esp ec1000 deluxe with 2 emg 81s.... in my experience for metal/heavy rock emgs are one of the best pickups around especially with rectos.... my guitars sound killer through my roadster for playing stuff like metallica, dream theater, tool, tremonti-type stuff..... i also love the emg 60 and am looking to replace the neck 81 in my ec1000.... give you a great clean tone and for leads you can definitely pull off the slash tone

BTW what type of guitar? i found a great alternative to emgs in terms of having lots of output (if you dont like the emgs) are the PRS HFS pickups which you can order from PRS or sam ash or GC

Have used an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG HB in the neck of my Gibson ES 335 Studio for the last 15 years. I can get any tone I want. I like to lower the pickups a bit, sweetens the tone and evens out the strings. Plus you can turn your amp up more to make up for it and get some backend grind going for you. Love those pickups!

I got the 81tw and the 60 in today. I will report on how the 81tw sounds. How does an 85 sound in the bridge position? Does it sound bassy and muddy like it does in the neck position?

jhguitar1 said:
I got the 81tw and the 60 in today. I will report on how the 81tw sounds. How does an 85 sound in the bridge position? Does it sound bassy and muddy like it does in the neck position?
¨

How do you like the 81TW?

my demo of the emg81tw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT1WF4sZSKE

also another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpjs_Fw5HcQ

I went through a brief EMG period. I liked the 85 in the bridge WAY more than t he 81.

jhguitar1 said:

the 81tw sounds sweet with the roadster cleans. i find more to be desired using it for punchy crunch type stuff... there are other coil tapped humbuckers that do it better like the PRS Mira and McCarty. I dig the emg 60 in the neck position. Its a lot warmer than most of emg's other pickups and can get you a very smooth lead tone with the right guitar

jdurso said:
jhguitar1 said:

i have a esp eclipse 400 with emg 81 in the bridge and 89 in the neck (which is an 85 with the push/pull to go to a single coil) and a esp ec1000 deluxe with 2 emg 81s.... in my experience for metal/heavy rock emgs are one of the best pickups around especially with rectos.... my guitars sound killer through my roadster for playing stuff like metallica, dream theater, tool, tremonti-type stuff..... i also love the emg 60 and am looking to replace the neck 81 in my ec1000.... give you a great clean tone and for leads you can definitely pull off the slash tone

BTW what type of guitar? i found a great alternative to emgs in terms of having lots of output (if you dont like the emgs) are the PRS HFS pickups which you can order from PRS or sam ash or GC

PRS HFS & VB are most definitely some of the best pickups around! Gotta love the tapped/split sounds they get in addition to the searing leads.

i swear by emg's. i have dual 85's in all of my ibanez rg's.

this one is my baby though

IMG_1468.jpg

Kaz said:
jdurso said:
jhguitar1 said:

PRS HFS & VB are most definitely some of the best pickups around! Gotta love the tapped/split sounds they get in addition to the searing leads.

yup PRS makes some gerat sounding pups.... their guitars aint too bad either :wink:

Latest posts

Back