EL34 loaded DR differs from a Stiletto how?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southernhell

Reaction score
I looked through the threads and did not notice a topic like this.

I am wondering how a Dual Rectifier(for the sake of argument, one of the 3 channel versions) loaded with EL34's compares and/or differs from a Stiletto Deuce(this is the 100 watt version correct?).

Is the real difference in the tone stack between the two? I am just wondering.

Also for sake of argument, both amps would be played through a Marshall 1960 A & B cabinets loaded with Eminence Texas Heats(Yes, I had to throw that monkey wrench in there.)

Completely different preamp. The preamp is what makes the tone of Mesa amps with the power tubes just enhancing and of course amplifying it. For instance, you can run a preamp into your recto (triaxis, JMP-1, etc) and it will sound like a completely different amp.

This is not to say you can't get close in some respects but if all it took was a simple tube change to make your amp into a completely different one all of us would only own 1 amp and a whole bunch of tubes :)

Greg

+1 Totally different amps!

I'd say a Recto with EL34 sounds still like a recto. That "trademark rectosound" is still there (=> it comes from the preamp).

A Stiletto sounds IMO not anything like a recto.

This is a good thing though. Because putting EL34's in you're recto will give you a NEW tone thats a little bit differant. I think it would be a bit boring if the Recto could sound like the stiletto with just a valve change

How will it be different though? More like a Marshall-like sound or voicing?

I really like the attack, the tone/voicing of the DR with JJ preamp and 6L6 tubes but I am wondering what EL34s would do beyond potentially making it tighter. Never liked Marshalls - in particular the attack.

I'm using a Boss GT-8 in front of my 3 channel DR to boost and shape/EQ the signal so it is pretty tight already I think.

Curious.

I have never tried it with the recto but i changed my Laney GH from 6L6's to EL34's and makes the sound less "In your face" and makes single note applications (as mesa put it) smoother.

I assume its the same for the Recto. Infact i wish i had tried it with the recto.

You should give it a go. Whats the worst that can happen?.........you dont like them and go back to 6L6's

I play metal, pretty heavy stuff, I own 2 Dr (R11750 and R406) and since i tried playing them with EL34 i never went back to 6L6. I also use an OD in front. For rythm work EL34 is the way to go (if you play metal) but for leads i prefer 6L6.

Thanks for the answers so far. But, I guess what I was trying to ask was what is the real difference between the two amps? Aside from the obvious channel switching, recitifier switching etc... I am just talking the base amp itself.

I know that the Stilettos is voice to be closer to Marshall-esque type vibe, than the DR, but how exactly? The tone stack itself or what? I do not have schematics of a Stiletto to compare them to the ones I have of a Dual Rec and the Marshall schematics I have to compare them all to see how the circuits are created.

Latest posts

Back