Effects and the V.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khorah.pds

Reaction score
I`m looking for a great delay for my effects loop. I have a line 6 echo park right now but i`d like to up grade to a better unit. I`m just curious about the signal chain of the users on this board.

MXR carbon copy. Plan and simple. Possibly the best delay pedal ever made. Gives you 600 ms of delay with true bypass. Does not get much better for a delay in essentially a phase 90 size stomp box. Plus you can open it up and change the modulation.

I'm looking for the same thing. I was over at ProGuitar and have listened to most of their delay pedals. I'm liking the MXR Carbon Copy, The Diamond Memory Lane Jr. (a little expensive), the Eventide Time Factor (expensive and looks complicated), and I'm really liking the Wampler Faux Tape Delay. I would certainly value any input on any of these pedals...

http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-delay-pedals-c-602_9?sort=20a&page=2

In my opinion the TimeFactor isn't that complicated. At first glance it is. But then again so is the Mark V. The TimeFactor is probably one of the best sound delays I have tried. It has a lot of buttons but it is not difficult to get a great sound with this pedal.

With that said I don't even own this pedal. :shock: I have a G Major 2 in the loop and use the delays as well as the other stuff, on that unit. I opted for the GM2 ather than the TF because I was looking for an all in one unit and could not be happier. I also have a Nova Delay for quicker setups. Also a great pedal. A striped down version of the Nova Delay is the Nova Repeater. This pedal actually has somehings that the Nova Delay dosen't but the Nova has the ability to save presets. Presets are a great option in a delay pedal. When I was in the market for a delay I didn't think I would require different presets in a delay pedal but I ended up using them a lot in my band.

I have not tried the Carbon Copy but I have heard good and bad things about it. I seem to recall it not jelling well with the Mark V effects loop.

There are a multitude of delays on the market, and it's hard to find a bad one. With that being said, here's my opinion.

Strymon makes the best delays on the market right now!

Seriously, if you're into tape echo, the El Capistan is top dog. If you're into analog, they have a pedal called the Brigadier. They also also make a small foot switch called a Favorite switch that allows you to have two sounds: one preset (Favorite) and one manual (current state of knobs.)

If you want it all, they just came out with the TimeLine. If you haven't seen the videos for this pedal, go check it out right now! http://www.strymon.net/timeline/

With that being said, I just ordered my second T.C. Electronic Nova Delay. I think it's the best value on the market, especially used, but I think the Strymon pedals are the absolute best thing out there.

I had a Carbon Copy. It's a great sounding delay but doesn't do well in the Mark V's effects loop. It can't handle the power of the preamp and kills a lot of the dynamics when inserted into the loop.

I replaced it with a Time Factor, which works excellent and sounds great. That said, I've been wanting to try one of the Strymon delays.... not out of dissatisfaction with the Time Factor... purely out of wanting to try new **** whether I need it or not.

TC Nova Repeater! One of the best delays I've ever had on the floor. When that unit is on, it's a minimum of 3hrs playing...and I'm the last one off the stage. :lol: :lol:

screamingdaisy said:
I had a Carbon Copy. It's a great sounding delay but doesn't do well in the Mark V's effects loop. It can't handle the power of the preamp and kills a lot of the dynamics when inserted into the loop.

I replaced it with a Time Factor, which works excellent and sounds great. That said, I've been wanting to try one of the Strymon delays.... not out of dissatisfaction with the Time Factor... purely out of wanting to try new sh!t whether I need it or not.

That's good to know, that's for sure...

ifailedshapes said:
There are a multitude of delays on the market, and it's hard to find a bad one. With that being said, here's my opinion.

Strymon makes the best delays on the market right now!

Seriously, if you're into tape echo, the El Capistan is top dog. If you're into analog, they have a pedal called the Brigadier. They also also make a small foot switch called a Favorite switch that allows you to have two sounds: one preset (Favorite) and one manual (current state of knobs.)

If you want it all, they just came out with the TimeLine. If you haven't seen the videos for this pedal, go check it out right now! http://www.strymon.net/timeline/

With that being said, I just ordered my second T.C. Electronic Nova Delay. I think it's the best value on the market, especially used, but I think the Strymon pedals are the absolute best thing out there.

That looks really interesting..thanks for the heads-up...

screamingdaisy said:

I replaced it with a Time Factor, which works excellent and sounds great. That said, I've been wanting to try one of the Strymon delays.... not out of dissatisfaction with the Time Factor... purely out of wanting to try new sh!t whether I need it or not.
I have the mark V and a carbon copy along with a MXR smart gate pedal. No volume issues once so ever on all 3 channels. I think what may be happening is that there powering the pedals with a 9v battery rather then a power supply. Because when I got my carbon copy the battery went dead after 2 hours of play. Now having a constant power supply i get all the great tone ( which sounds the same with the carbon copy on and off) with unbelievably juicy delay from the carbon copy. Also if the effects loop send level is 12:00 from what I can tell it does not mess with the sound or the tone. So there is my .02 cents about it but consider that virtually every high profile guitar player has the carbon copy in there rig now at least the heavy metal ones.

I have a MXR carbon copy in my effects loop. Sounds pretty good on solos. Haven't tried any other delay pedals in there, so can't compare.

I'm really digging my TC Electronics Flashback delay that I keep in the loop on top of the V. I use the FX switch on the footcontroller to turn it off/on. Sounds fantastic in 2290 mode! The other modes are cool too, but I mainly use 2290.

Just remember the channel master is the FX loop send as well and at higher levels some pedals will tend to distort. The Flashback seems to be fine, but I don't run the masters higher than 1 o'clock - the clean channel is the highest.

Well, I'll take my comments about the Carbon Copy back. Using it at a gig last week, I was kinda disappointed with it on distorted leads (had it in my fx loop). The delay interferes with the base distorted tone.... I don't know if this is a characteristic of all delay pedals. I tried reducing the delay and regen knobs, but still wasn't able to get the 3D sound without interference.

It sounded great on all my clean passages though.

Would another delay pedal do the trick ? Are there any specific delay pedals that work well distortion ?

MusicMan, does the flashback sound good on ch2 and 3 ?

Use a digital delay ( TC products are great and what I use). I find these cut so clean and clear through the loop over the analog delays by a long shot- and with no tonal degradation. This coming from a long time analog user. TC is hard to beat.

+1 for digital. I've always loved analogue delays but once I finally stopped using them my tone took a turn for the better. Digital tends to be a lot brighter than analogue, and that brightness helps separate it from the fundamental note.

The other thing I've found that works well is using tap tempo with a dotted 8th rhythm pattern. Using a dotted 8th has the repeat drop between beats instead of on the beat, so it fills in space rather than fighting for it.

digital delay sounds best after distorted tones (in the loop) and analog sounds best in front of the clean channel. This is just my .02!

I have the TC electronics Nova Delay and I love it. It's versatile, programmable (9 patches), and sounds great in the effects loop. You can basically "sync" it up with the volume you're playing at so it doesn't distort your sound or change volume when you engage. It's my only pedal in the loop so I use the MK V switch to engage. It also has an "analog or digital" knob that offers a lot of tonal possibilities. I think it runs for about $250, but I got it on sale at GC for $200.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/novadelay.asp

I also love my Nova Delay. The only other delay I wish I had is a Line 6, but that's just for some filtered delays and lazy volume swells. I got mine used for under $150.

I loved my carbon copy with my iv, but i had volume issues with my V. I traded it for the boss dd20 and it works great. I hear good things about the nova also.

Back